Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-05-2006 , 04:16 PM

Creating awesome textures?

Hi!

I have always wondered... How Do You Create Textures For The Stuff You Have Created In Maya?... I have created a whole bunch of stuff in Maya, but I don't know how to create textures for them. I know that you can use for example Photoshop to create them, but how are you supposed to know how to create them in Photoshop... is there any tutorials etc. out there to learn how to create textures for use in maya...except the on on this website.

Thanks a lot/ Robin

# 2 15-05-2006 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
basicly u mapp the UV into a layout where u can see what is what allowin u to place cetian colour/ patters in the correct places.

on this site u could use the spitfire or trex texturin tut but there r some freee 1 if u do a google search

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 3 15-05-2006 , 05:49 PM
ok, but the thing is... how do I layout the UVs? I mean on the free tutorial on this website (where you create a texture for the door), how do you place the UVs as you wish, and how do you cut the top part of the UVs so that you can texture them differently, and after that, how do you save a picture of the UVs so that you can paint on it, and after that, how do you bring it into maya so that the textures are applied to the object correctly??

# 4 15-05-2006 , 06:03 PM
Basicaly you choose the texturing layuot that best fits your model (under polygons->Texture) then you open the UV texture editor (panels UV texture editor) then take a UV snapshot, export it out paint it, then map it as a file texture to the model and thats it in a nutshell, its far more complex than that in reality (or I find it is).

Like PBman said do a google search for uv texturing tutorials.

# 5 15-05-2006 , 06:47 PM
Thanks, but there are no Polygons -> Texture menu set in my verison of Maya (7.0).

# 6 15-05-2006 , 06:50 PM
Sorry could be edit polygons, not got maya open at the moment.

I think theres some tutorials in the help files too

# 7 15-05-2006 , 07:59 PM

Originally posted by gster123
Sorry could be edit polygons, not got maya open at the moment.

I think theres some tutorials in the help files too

Sorry but I couldn't find any Texture menu in the Edit Polygons menu either.

Last edited by robinthebest; 15-05-2006 at 08:02 PM.
# 8 16-05-2006 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
in maya 7 there is a tab called Polygon UV's under the modellin menu set (push F3) AND IS NEXT TO EDIT POLYGONS

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973