Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-08-2006 , 03:14 PM

Transparency Problems

Hey, ive just got a little problem that i cant seem to work out. Im making a product for a friend, and what i wanted was to make a cardboard package with curves and that little hook thing that all products have.

I made the texture in photoshop with an alpha chanel.
In maya's display view, the corners and hook bit look fine, but when i render in mental ray using final gather, it shows the corners and the hook part that should be completely transparent.

Please tell me if uve got any ideas of how to fix or get around this problem.

Thanks, Joel

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-08-2006 , 03:35 PM

HDRI

Hey, just tried it in a HDRI scene to see if i had the same problem, and sure enough, it happens here too. I dont know how to fix this, any help would b good user added image

sorry, its not the best render, but u get the idea

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-08-2006 , 05:48 PM
dunno if im right but if u create a texture for ur secular color and leave the corners black so there cant be any reflections... try that!

# 4 27-08-2006 , 06:03 PM
what image file are you using for the transparacy?

I've had problems in the past using Tifs, it worked when I changed to a png.

# 5 27-08-2006 , 06:41 PM
well i honestly think it would just be quicker and easier to do a trim to get rid of the areas you don't want *shrug*

Accept no substitutions.