Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-12-2007 , 05:06 PM

Problems that arise from lack of absolute co-ordinates

Hi,

I've moaned about this before but in my current model it's a real pain.

I'm making a square hole, and adding edge loops around it so it smooths how I want. But since there are several holes (and each has 4 sides) it's a pain to make sure that all the extra loops are equidistant from the hole itself.

But... if Maya would display absolute co-ordinates for vertices or edges it would be easy. Get a distance you like, check the distance from the hole, and just arrange all the others the same. It would be entirely uniform.

Lightwave was the only other 3d software I'd used before, and I'd assumed that like it, absolute co-ordinates would be a staple in any 3d app. Just seems strange that something focused on 3d wouldn't give you this information.

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest, and also see if anyone has a solution to this kind of problem.
thanks,

gubar

# 2 04-12-2007 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
gubar, I don't know if this will help. But after you insert the Edge Loop in the Inputs you can change the Weight, it is called, and that will adjust the placement of the loop. When you insert the loop and change all of the weights to be the same, would that help?

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 3 04-12-2007 , 06:17 PM
Hi,

yeah it could help, but it's a pretty painful way to do it (trying to find the correct edge loop etc). It would be easier if you could control the insert edge loop tool more - like, dictate that it will insert it x distance from an edge.

Would be even easier if you could see it's co-ordinates...

cheer,

gubar

Edit: The weigts way doesn't work - the value is relative to the distance between the original edges, so that .1 for on new loop, may be a different distance related to .1 for another.

Last edited by gubar; 04-12-2007 at 06:26 PM.
# 4 04-12-2007 , 07:29 PM
Subscriber
I had that wondered about after I posted it. Well it was a thought anyway!! ;-)

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 5 05-12-2007 , 07:19 AM
since your only doing this in order to maintain your squareness why not change the smooth option. The preserve option set in the smooth options should be what you want. Either geometry borders or selection borders. If you work back and forth between smooth and not, save your selection. Do that by create>set>quick select set. The new set will be in the outliner.

# 6 05-12-2007 , 10:15 AM
Hi,

there are parts of the mesh that I do want to appear smooth though, it's not all hard edged.

cheers,

gubar

# 7 05-12-2007 , 04:02 PM
Then select your hard edges, switch back to object mode with them selected and smooth with the option preserve>selection edges. Save your selection for faster access. Cheers.

# 8 05-12-2007 , 05:10 PM
Hi,

that sounds good in theory... but have you ever smoothed a model and left some hard edges on it? It looks pretty bad. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think generally you want to smooth your entire mesh (and model in hard edges with edge loops) or not at all. At least that's what I've picked up.

gubar

# 9 06-12-2007 , 03:51 AM
My character WIP has hard edges on her eye lids lips boots and nose. They need to be there or things don't have the right tangents. Also you dont need a hard edge you need to preserve selection which is another thing entirely. Third time Ive said this but you obviously have not even given me the time to look. If you use preserve selection those edges will be sub divided but not moved which is what you are asking for with extra edges. Of course you'll need to take a second to see this.

# 10 06-12-2007 , 09:43 AM

Originally posted by wokendreams
My character WIP has hard edges on her eye lids lips boots and nose. They need to be there or things don't have the right tangents. Also you dont need a hard edge you need to preserve selection which is another thing entirely. Third time Ive said this but you obviously have not even given me the time to look. If you use preserve selection those edges will be sub divided but not moved which is what you are asking for with extra edges. Of course you'll need to take a second to see this.

Sorry if I've caused you any offence. I do understand what you mean but I don't believe it's a very good way to model. This is based on advice I've read on this forum and others, and through practice. Also, I believe that inserting edge loops gives you greater control over your model - if you preserve any selections, you don't have as great a degree over the resulting contour as you do if you dictate the placement of your edge loops yourself. The algorithm dictates this for you.

A model can be made to look good, smoothing it all, without absolute co-ordinates. My point at the start of the thread was that it would be more efficient if Maya displayed them, in terms of placing edge loops.

thanks,

gubar