Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-03-2003 , 08:50 AM
Subscriber

cloth question/using CV curve

Hello Everyone,

I'm not sure if my posting is in the correct area. Since there isn't any section for Cloth I thought I try here since my question has got to do with CV curves as well.

I'm trying to use cloth to create a simple shirt. I used CVs to create the shape and close it up with Open/Close Curves. It went fine but when I select the shirt curve and then select Cloth|Create Panel I get this error "Error: Curves must be coplanar. Check for out of plane control vertices." I'm not sure what this mean. Can someone help me with this one?

Also if anyone knows where I can go for a tutorial on using Cloth please let me know.

Thanks,
TC

# 2 24-03-2003 , 10:03 AM
Subscriber
the problem with cloth panels is, that each piece is must be planar to create the panel. that means, each panel must be non folded 2d geometry. the easiest to do is using a orthogonal view (front, side, top) and build the curves there, only using this plane. if that worked out, you group the curves together and rotate them to be there they roughly should be. but they stay in this plane. (edit: important to note, they are not supposed to stay in the plane you modeled them, but they stay flat like a piece of paper, if you know what i mean) if you stitch 2 cloth panels together, they need not be in one plane though. that means 2 panels on top of each other with a bit distance create a u-turn thingy if you stitch togeter one side of the panels.

hope that helps

Last edited by BabyDuck; 24-03-2003 at 10:06 AM.
# 3 24-03-2003 , 11:40 AM
Subscriber
Yup... and for the tut... simply press F1. Theres a section about cloth and also a tutorial.

Kühl
# 4 24-03-2003 , 06:01 PM
Subscriber
Thanks BabyDuck for your feedback and thanks Kuhl for pointing out the Help section.

I was able to create the shape. I went through the help and whats interesting is that you need to create two separate curves, group them, then you can apply 'Create Panel'. Its funny how you can't create one continuous curve to form the shape.
Oh well as long as it works.

Thanks again,
TC

# 5 24-03-2003 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
Trimeister: You're correct. You need at least two curves to create a panel. However , often you would like to create even more curves to make your cloth actually looks like cloth. For example - you dont want a shirt to be seamed together at the neck and arms.. ?

First make one curve (when finish, press Y instead of enter to repeat making curves), use "snap to curve" (hotkey C) and drag the startingpoint of the next curve to the very end of the first curve. Then make the new curve. Go on this way 'till its a closed loop (endpoint of last curve is exactly the same place as startpoint of the first).'

You dont need to make curves for more than half of the cloth. You can just dublicate -1 before you group the curves. Just make sure that the curvepoints are snapped to grid (hotkey X) where the mirroring will be done so that its still a closed loop.

And remember what duck said. All curves should be co-planar.

Kühl

Last edited by Kühl; 24-03-2003 at 06:21 PM.
# 6 24-03-2003 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
Hi Kuhl,

Everything you said just seemed to fall in place and thanks for the tip about pressing Y key instead of Enter. It makes thing so much easier.

I followed along the tutorial and I'm up to simulation now. It has been going o for 20 minutes now. I guess I need faster CPU and memory.

Thanks,
Tri