Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-03-2011 , 09:23 PM

Maya to Zbrush/Mudbox

After a 5 months layoff, I will be getting up and running again in maya, for those of you who saw my novice work, as before I will be doing another character model, but was thinking of starting it in maya then moving it over into zbrush /mudbox,for experimenting....though I still need to go a long way to even get to the level I have seen from other members.
I just want to know how do I actually import a model over into these over pieces of software.

Thnaks in advance user added image

Jt

# 2 04-03-2011 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber
going between maya and zbrush and back you can use the GoZ feature
alternatively you can export your models as obj files

you can probably do the obj export for between maya and mudbox and back

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 04-03-2011 , 10:01 PM
The thin red line
Like Chrirone said and try to have only four sided polys, also check you mesh in zrush under geometry check mesh integrity........dave

# 4 05-03-2011 , 10:13 PM
how do you use the goz feature, and how do I make the file into an obj....I am off an on maya so much I am still in on my starting block, I try keep my hand in but sometimes I have a bit of work to get through with uni?

Thanks again for the response

# 5 06-03-2011 , 12:22 AM
Subscriber
If you can open and save a file you can figure this out as it's quite straight forward

GoZ is built into ZBrush since ZBrush 4 came out. The button is in the Tool Palette
GoZ ZBrush -> Maya
To use it select the tool in ZBrush and click GoZ in the Tool palette. Maya will open with the mesh

GoZ Maya -> ZBrush
Select the mesh and click the GoZ button on your shelf.
The shelf is put there when you install ZB4 assuming you told it to do that.
If it's not then you'll have to find the script and put it there

obj zbrush -> maya:
select the tool and click export in the Tool palette. the default export option is obj
in maya select File > Import to import the obj file

obj maya -> zbrush/mudbox
select the mesh and click File > Export Selection

I think when using obj there's something you have to turn off. Select options when you export from maya and turn off everything other than normals. I don't remember what it is you turn off but that was my last setting for it...

There might be something special to go between maya and mudbox but i've never used mudbox for more than a few minutes on someone elses computer. But given that they are both autodesk products now there might be something. Like, mudbox could probably open fbx files, which I hear is common between autodesk products

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 06-03-2011 , 07:23 PM
thanks again for the valuable adviceuser added image

# 7 14-03-2011 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
Hey man I know this is a maya site but it looks like your very informed about ZBrush too. In ZBrush my models keep losing their symmetry... I start it symettrical and by a couple hours through the piece, it gets distorted! Changing the symettry axis and using the 'posed' symettry tool doesn't work. Any suggestions?