Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-02-2004 , 06:02 PM

mental ray outdoors

Can someone give me pointers on how to create realistic outdoor scenes with mental ray?

I've tried the 3dluvr tutorial but it didn't work quite well

# 2 20-02-2004 , 03:17 PM
Subscriber
Tinker with the Global Illumination and Final gather can give some good results. I'm not sure what they covered on the 3dluvr tutorial.

MentalRay is more pro than Maya’s software render. This is a good thing. But can have some drawbacks in that it means you need to learn about setting some of the quality controls on it. MR is very much about quality versus. time.

The best thing to do is put in just a couple of simple primitive shapes in a scene. Set 320x240 resolution and test away trying some different setting.

# 3 20-02-2004 , 06:04 PM
Thanks for the advice

Should I use a big sphere for the enviroment light (like stated on the tutorial I mentioned before) or is it better to choose a color on the camera on the environment settings?

# 4 21-02-2004 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
I find it better to use the environment settings for that. Faster calculations in my estimation. Also if your just going for a FG it produces a much more even and predictable result.

BUT I am not familiar with that tutorial like I said. they could be after a bit different affects. For instance to they have something emitting photons that bounce off that sphere ? I’m not saying I want to know just saying to judge for your self if you can get ride of the sphere with out much truble.