Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-02-2007 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber

Maya 6.5 to 8.5

I was wondering how do I transfer what I've done in maya 6.5 and bring it into 8.5 so I can do my work in there? And should I back up the Projects folder or does it do it for you? Kind of stupid question, I know, but I want to do the switch right. But I'm not going to if I can't continue modeling what I've started in 6.5

Thanks in advance

# 2 14-02-2007 , 12:26 PM
I recently upgraded form 6 to 8.5 and just kept the same projects they all open fine and find the associated files etc etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 15-02-2007 , 11:31 PM

Re: Maya 6.5 to 8.5

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
I was wondering how do I transfer what I've done in maya 6.5 and bring it into 8.5 so I can do my work in there? And should I back up the Projects folder or does it do it for you? Kind of stupid question, I know, but I want to do the switch right. But I'm not going to if I can't continue modeling what I've started in 6.5

Thanks in advance

ya itll work fine

Maya is simple, but only if you believe it
# 4 24-05-2007 , 01:41 PM
Subscriber
sorry to bring this back to the top, but no one ever answered if I need to back up the project folder or anything like that? And do I have to uninstall 6.5 or do I just pop in the disk for 8.5 and it does what i need to do without deleting what I've already created? And will it transfer over my plug-ins and my shortcut bar?

Once again sorry for bringing back my old question, but I figured it was better than re-posting the same thing.

# 5 24-05-2007 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
oh and one more thing, is my graphic card going to be an issue with it? I never had any problems with it using 6.5 but heard that 8.5 is a little more picky.

I have a Radeon X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory

# 6 24-05-2007 , 04:50 PM
Senior Software Developer
OK,

When you install maya 8.5 you will be asked to keep your original settings from 6. Dont...

Install it fresh and point your project directories to the version 6 ones. All your MEL files will be fine and will work, but none of the plugins will. Plugins are mll files and are coded using that version of Mayas SDK and a C++ compiler.If you have the plugin source and a c++ compiler, then you can try to recompile to the new version...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)