Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-10-2007 , 12:53 AM

Introduction [Movie]

Well this is my second rendered movie, at the moment I'm suprisingly happy with the result, but good can always be better. user added image

https://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...lytest01-1.flv

Well there is some things I need your opinions on.

1. Do you think the framerate looks good (15 fps at the moment)

2. Do you got a tip on how I can make the flametail of the komet look more realistic?

3. I'm using Targa at the moment, if you know a better image format please tell. user added image

And any other comments are most appriciated. user added image

# 2 15-10-2007 , 01:40 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Butterfilies are alot more jittery than that and faster. I would also reduce the size of your text as it just fills the whole screen way too much.

Standard film frame rate is 24fps and Im and Im sure video is 25. Im sure someone can confirm this for me......

Cheers
Jay

# 3 15-10-2007 , 02:01 AM
Subscriber
yeah it is. 24fps for film and 25 for tv. is there something stopping you from using that because it would look alot better.

but yeah same as above..nice start

"You won't get anything done by planning" - Karl Pilkington
# 4 15-10-2007 , 02:59 AM
the meteor thing going past the screen is very random !

As jay said the text appears too big this is because its breaching the safe action area, allow a bit off the sides in which you place your content.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_safe

Also make it more dynamic, the butterfly is very slow and moving in a straight line, make his motion arc and flutter up and down like a butterfly would, their wing beat is faster than that as well i think.

Consider having the butterfly come in or out of perspective.

Also maybe start with a blank screen and have the text appear in a different way, maybe with the meteor (which is too dark), or as the butterfly goes past.

Nice start though, keep at it.

# 5 15-10-2007 , 03:02 AM
Thanks Wod and Laurie

_Jay

# 6 15-10-2007 , 03:49 AM
Thanks alot for your comments. user added image

I will try to make the title apear with the butterfly using a ramp. It is possible that the meteor became so dark becouse of the motion blur I will try to lighten it up and reduce the motion blur.

And well I didnt want to use higher fps on this render becouse it would go to fast(sure the wings would look better but the movement would look weird) This is ofcourse something I will change in the next render. I will also make the wings go faster and make more up and down movement.

I'm not going to have time to work on this tomorow becouse of social activities and well, work ofcourse. But I should be able to working all saturday and hopefully have a new fresh render for you on sunday morning.

Until then, have a happy weekend. user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 15-10-2007 at 03:51 AM.
# 7 15-10-2007 , 01:38 PM
and 30 fps for NTSC

Frame rates were designated so that things looked like movement, not a series of images one after the other (which of course they are) not anything to do with speed.

Lowerframe rates save on bandwidth when it comes to making the movie file (such as the 15 fps options in flash) so its all down to compression, it probably employs some sort of tweening of bluring between the frames to make it look better so you can get away with it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 15-10-2007 , 02:23 PM
Ah yeah ntsc, I couldnt remember the frame rate, nice one Steve.

I think all things aside, 24fps should have been used from the off, apart from being the standard setting anyway for animation, scale of key speed could have been adjusted after in the dope sheet editor.

later
Jay

# 9 15-10-2007 , 03:29 PM
Actually not 24fps, 23.76.

# 10 15-10-2007 , 03:29 PM
I generally animate/render out at 25 fps (so it matches with PAL, just my settings) then if I'm going to compress for say the web I might then drop the frame rate of the overall file (in the export settings of the programme i'm using) to get a smaller file, I wouldent use the frame rate to determine the speed of an animation, unless its a slow mo captured at a very high frame rate then dropped to 25 fps in the compositing/editing.

I think the actual framerate for NTSC is 29.97 or something like that, but its generally rounded up to 30 fps.

Might be due to the imperial system being used ft/inches then converted to metric or something???

# 11 15-10-2007 , 04:28 PM
Lifetime Member
The PAL frame rate 25 frames per second and NTSC frame rate are derived from frequency and interlacing.
Incidently the PAL /NTSC are colour systems and don't really have anything to do with framerate but just happen to be mostly used in the countries that use a specific framerate although there are exceptions.

In order to work TV receivers require a source of field timing reference signals. These are signals that tell the TV receiver to be ready to receive the next picture in the stream of images. Early set designers decided to use the Mains power supply frequency as this source for two good reasons. The first was that with the older types of power supply, you would get rolling hum bars on the TV picture if the mains supply and power source were not at exactly the same frequency. The second was that the TV studios would have had enormous problems with flicker on their cameras when making programmes.

All movies that are made for Cinema are shot at 24 frames per second but to show them on TV you have to have two interlaced pictures scanned alternately across the screen and since the European frequency is 50Hz you have two lots of 25 frames per second,while in the States and Asia the frequency is 60Hz hence you get 30 frames per second (the fieldrate was later changed to 59.94Hz when colour was introduced)hence the true frame rate is 29.97fps.
The odd number you are quoting 23.76 is the result from converting a 30 fps movie made for tv to a 24fps so it can be shown on a PAL system (it's played at 25fps but you don't really notice it's running fast ) or Movie Theater and it's achieved by actually removing frames in a given sequence through out the movie ,sometimes called 3/2 pulldown it's not an ideal framerate but it works to get the movie to play.

Sorry for highjacking the thread but i felt that since this topic was mentioned then the info should be clarified.

Weyu
A nice start but as others have mentioned the butterfly movement needs some work.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 15-10-2007 at 05:28 PM.
# 12 15-10-2007 , 05:25 PM
DJ

I was refering to a standard as a whole not Maya, my bad wording, apologies.

I come from a 'film' family right across the board to my grandparents etc so. All used to work at MGM here in England many years ago then move to Elstree Studios. My Father was a documentary editor there, before moving on to sound fx blahhh...I could go on....LOL

Anyway standard cinema 24fps.

# 13 15-10-2007 , 05:27 PM

Originally posted by jsprogg

Incidently the PAL /NTSC are colour systems

Nice one John, I remember being told, as a joke, that NTSC stood for Never Twice the Same Colour

# 14 17-10-2007 , 01:24 AM
Thanks alot for the help choosing the correct fps, as I am from sweden I've choosen 25fps. user added image

I've made the butterfly "flutter" more I've also moved the camera further away.

https://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...t=053e6786.flv

I have some "bugs" I need to fix for example if I dont crop the vidio you can see the "meteor" hanging at the edge. I also need to redo the "presents" key.

# 15 17-10-2007 , 01:49 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey thats much better , the butterfly movement is good now but maybe could be slightly quicker in my opinion.
I love the way the meteor take it out though ..hehe

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner