Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-02-2008 , 09:48 AM
Subscriber

Shimmering shadows around objects with Final Gather

Hi there,

When rendering an animation I'm getting shimmering shadows on the geometry:

https://www.simontaylorfilms.com/msc/.../perspBird.mov

The final gather settings are default production quality and i'm using a directional light with default raytraced shadow settings. I get this shimmering effect on everything I render with Final Gather. I have tried upping accuracy on both FG and shadow settings. Depth Map has the same problem too. Please help!

Thanks in advance
Simon

www.simontayloranimation.com

Last edited by sjtaylor84; 24-02-2008 at 10:03 AM.
# 2 24-02-2008 , 11:09 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Can I ask if you have reflectivity on the material...?

If not have you checked the radius setting for final gather?

The best way to do this to get a correct scale for the setting is to put a poly plane in the scene and scale it up to just over the objects size, then check the scale setting in the channel box.

Then divide that number by ten for your Max Setting and then divide the Max setting by a tenth to get your min setting. this should do it, the only other alternative is to keep upping the accuracy like you have done until the FG rays disappear.

Jay

# 3 25-02-2008 , 04:40 AM
Subscriber
Thank you!

I hadn't even realised there was an optimize for animation bit in the FG settings. Thanks for your help, it looks fine now. :attn:

Simon

www.simontayloranimation.com
# 4 25-02-2008 , 04:55 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Cool!

_Jay