Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-08-2008 , 04:39 AM

The center of the universe... how do I change it?

I'm importing these impossibly large models of cityscapes that my coworkers have created, keep a few elements of them, and delete the rest. I've gotten that far successfully, however once I do that I've noticed that as I try to pan around my workspace the center of my little "universe" is no longer at the center of that tiny grid. It's at some unmarked location off the grid.

Does anyone know how to reset this point back to the center of my grid?

Please forgive me if I don't know the correct terminology. I've just had this software dropped in my lap and I'm trying to start somewhere.

Thanks.

# 2 19-08-2008 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber
what I usually do when this happens, is select the items on the screen and his "F" to frame it into your perspective view, and that will then be the center that you rotate around.

# 3 19-08-2008 , 04:43 AM
Super Moderator
It could be that 'use pivot as local space' is checked under movement options in the camera's attribute editor.

- Genny
# 4 19-08-2008 , 05:28 AM
Thanks, I'll check those things when I get in to work tomorrow.

# 5 19-08-2008 , 06:26 AM
Group the whole lot, center the pivot and grid snap the entire lot to the centre of the grid.

# 6 19-08-2008 , 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
what I usually do when this happens, is select the items on the screen and his "F" to frame it into your perspective view, and that will then be the center that you rotate around.

Worked like a charm.
Thank you.

# 7 20-08-2008 , 04:27 AM
Subscriber
you're welcome, it also works on selected verts and faces helpful if you're working close to the object