Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-12-2008 , 08:34 PM

Smoothing Edges

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this form because otherwise n00bs like us would be SCREWED! And speaking of screwed, I seem to be screwed in making a screwdriver. <a href="https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/modeling/polygon/239-1.html">Here's the tutorial</a> that I've been following, and there's a couple of things I seem to be having trouble with.

It says start out in the modeling section...but I don't have one! I only have animation, polygons, surfaces, dynamics and a few others. So I went with polygons and made a cylinder. Why do I not have the modeling section? Is it because the trial version of 2009 is missing it?

This tutorial starts out with the cylinder already shaded, but because I seem to be missing the modeling section, I had go the polygon route - I found out through other tutorials that you can shade by pressing "5," so that's what I did to get it shaded. So that's still ok so far, correct?

When we get to the section where you do a boolean difference to carve out grooves in the handles, I'm wondering if there's a perfect way to align those elongated spheres onto the handle symmetrically other than just by playing it by eye.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Alex

# 2 12-12-2008 , 08:36 PM
Any advice on how to smooth edges? In one of the steps it simply says:

Now smooth the handle twice Polygons>smooth

I'm not sure where to find that command.

# 3 12-12-2008 , 10:58 PM
Select the polygon menu - > in the upper menu select " Mesh " - > smooth

# 4 12-12-2008 , 11:06 PM
Thanks very much and nice avatar! lol

# 5 12-12-2008 , 11:19 PM
It presents my work for now Noobish but i will be Gosu soon :nod: