Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-11-2003 , 12:18 AM

mirroring

For some reason i am having problems mirroring polygons.. i never had problems before but now its not letting me.. i got the X axis set to -1 as i'm supposed to and i have instance checked on.. but whenver i hit the duplicate button the red text comes on down at the bottom of the screen giving me an error saying that it had problems instancing.. if anyone know what is going on it would be a great help.. thanks in advance

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 18-11-2003 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
Yeah I can't get it to mirror my geometry either. I don't get an error message, though, I just get a copy of my object directly on top of my existing object, even with -x as the scale. All I want is to be able to model half of my object and have the other half be created automatically...

# 3 18-11-2003 , 02:26 AM
Subscriber
You could try freezing transformations on the object and deleting it's history first. Sometimes resetting the mirror settings (edit set default in the mirror or duplicate boxes) and then resetting what you wanted gives it a bit of help.

# 4 18-11-2003 , 05:39 AM
Subscriber
Hmmm I've tried freezing transformations, deleting construction history, resetting the duplicate settings. I'm all out of ideas but I hope someone on the board knows what to do!

# 5 18-11-2003 , 06:21 AM
Make sure your pivot point is centered on the geometry you want to mirror over. If you can post a pic up so i can have a look see.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 18-11-2003 , 07:32 PM
Subscriber
Unfortunately I don't have a good way to upload images ATM. I've tried the pivot in the center of my object, on an edge, off of my object completely and so on. Google doesn't find anything concerning this type of problem (though there's plenty of sites dealing with mirroring objects). Comeon, guys! I know somebody must have some insight!

# 7 19-11-2003 , 03:11 AM
You don't need your own site to host images. If they are under 2mb the simplymaya server can host them.