Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-10-2006 , 02:54 AM

looking for the whey

i have bee trying to learn myself up good on the best process for me to buil myself a new head i hav tryed building from various primitives and found that they began to impose there own form on to the mesh and way before i got to a shape that resembled a head i was in sorts of trouble ... anyhoo ... i have started on a poly to sub D thing and so far it is behaving i wounderd whether i could get a bit of feedback on the mesh where is the trouble ...? There is a spot in the corner of the mouth that seems to break up when i go to Sub' is this a prob;em ... it worries me that down the track i may loose control of this area at render stage or beyond. ... so attach see below

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-10-2006 , 02:55 AM
here is a copy of the sub d set as well

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 03-10-2006 , 07:48 PM
Try to keep the areas around the mouth area to 4 sided polys, as they look form the pictures that they are triangles, that may be causing your problems.

Cheers

# 4 03-10-2006 , 11:45 PM

I have done a little work since then

Thanks "gster123" I will have a go at trying to square up my triangles ...I have since refined the modle a little ... she is a 68 year old lady so the surface will get quite a bit more work ... but here she is as is

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 04-10-2006 , 08:57 PM

further with Diana

i tryed to get rid of those peskey triagles but i found that i was just moving them around ... I am going to have to stare at it for a while ...i did do a little more work any way tho ... she is getting closer to the look still faily low on the poly count (not that i have counted them) ... any anatomists/critics out there with the time, I would apreciate any tips/insights you might have ... Here are a couple of snaps of the state of play

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-10-2006 , 09:00 PM

just a quick front view as well

uh oh ... i think im going to have to graple with the ears ... i have been staring at peoples ears all day .... odd bunch are'nt we

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 05-10-2006 , 04:22 PM
looking pretty decent so far user added image
I think the forehead area needs rounding off a fair bit more and maybe the edgeloops around the cheekbones are not as flowing as in other head modelling I've seen but it all depends on what you are trying to achieve.
You're definately getting that 'old' look into the features though, keep at it.

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 8 05-10-2006 , 07:01 PM

thanks for tips

i see what your saying about forhead and yes ho no square head granny for me no ... but im not sure i understand what you mean in regards "Edgeloops" ... its a bit jargon for me, i am only lowly 2d artist trying to raise myself off the page ... would you be able to translate for me

# 9 06-10-2006 , 05:21 AM

late lastnight encounterd a problem

I'm trying to model some creases at the corner of the mouth as they appear quite deep i would rather have them in the model rather than in the Bump map but the topograghy goes the wrong wayany sugestions

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 06-10-2006 , 11:05 AM
You can either create the wrinkles on the poly model (have a look at the hobbit guys head tutorial, later on in the tutorial he goes into creating wrinkles whilst keeping all quads) or you could go into sub D's and add creases then using the partial crease command.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 06-10-2006 , 12:33 PM
for ideas on edgeloops I just tried 'edgeloop' in google images and it gave links to some sites which had a little info or examples on user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 12 16-10-2006 , 08:18 AM

thanks all

thanks gster123 i had looked at the hobit guy tut a while ago but only the begining (couldnt work out how he was puting in his splits as his were going side to side with curves and my split poly tool will only split in a straight line) but i see the bit about wrinkles and yes that should be fine thanks ... as to the Edge Loops thing t1ck135

thanks for the tip i have been looking around, had a look at the roman of yours and lots else where ...yeh its not easy is it ... its shaping up to be a very good project this one as i am learning so much , i'm glad i picked it and not just a generic head this way i cant cut any corners but ouch ... some times it hurts .... I would love to just be able to draw them on a head base and then build the mesh to support them ... this mesh thing is good meaty stuff ... i think the next google will be for edge loop guidlines ... i am starting to feel these ones binding my road forward ... hm?

thanks for your thoughts ... a bit more research for me user added image

# 13 19-10-2006 , 10:59 AM

have done a little more work

I have realy just been poking about, still not realy happy with "Edge loops" but as this is a project for the folio and more of a learning exersice I doubt i will have to deal with animation so... having said that, I have done some work on the look still lots to do ... still no ears ... but any hoo her she is

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 22-10-2006 , 03:01 AM
looks like you're having fun with the modelling

slap some ears on and lets see how she's developing user added image

www.flash-fx.net
# 15 22-10-2006 , 06:02 AM
Acid44

Re: looking for the whey

Originally posted by bruce dwyer
i have bee trying to learn myself up good on the best process for me to buil myself a new head

FINALLY someone uses maya for a head transplant...

really though thats pretty good but the face looks a little wide/flatuser added image