Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 15-12-2006 , 04:32 AM

How to make a cord?

Like a regular cord. I am modeling my room or somewhat similar. I want to try and add a cord coming from my monitor to the wall. Sorry for asking alot of questions I am just really into this scene. So anyone got a darn clue? :attn:

https://zoharblur.deviantart.com/
# 2 15-12-2006 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
Yeah sure, just make a nurbs circle, tweak the shape to suit the profile of cord you'd like. e.g oval, rectangle with rounded corners, 'figure 8' etc.

Draw a curve with cv or ep curve tool that takes the form of your finished cord, that is the path to extrude the profile along. Then just select the circle, shift select the path curve then go to surfaces->extrude.

Now the neat thing here is that you can use the history to change the shape of the extruded cord. If you don't like the cord, just turn on Xray and then move the control vertices of the path curve around and the extruded shape will follow!!

Just be sure to delete the history on the cord when you're happy with the shape.

Simon.

# 3 15-12-2006 , 08:33 AM
Subscriber
that sounds great, got you have a screen shot?? dig to see it! you'll get some good/better feedback if you post the scene and will learn things you didn't even know existed user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 4 15-12-2006 , 09:08 AM
Subscriber
Did you mean Zohar or me Mirek?

If you meant me, here you are.

Simon

Attached Images
# 5 15-12-2006 , 10:31 AM
Subscriber
no mate but it all helps

check the options here

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 15-12-2006 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
'partial' is important with those extrude surface options, it has exruded as you have explaned but it has a differant 'seam' rather than the seam running along the extruded circle it is now at the end. here i have scaled it down to the correct proportions via the flow you discribed, usng history.

Attached Thumbnails

# 7 15-12-2006 , 10:43 AM
Subscriber
i 'emit particles from object' using the verts as 'objects' (right click/verts/..,select the verts at the end of the fuse.., then .., particles menu/emitt from object..,) then in the channel i keyed sub-curve 2 at frame 1 rhen keyed it at frame 48, with the sub-curve at the end of the bomb and press play...

play around with it, it is easy to figure.

Attached Thumbnails

# 8 15-12-2006 , 01:59 PM
Wow thankyou so much everyone! I didn't expect I am using a maya 8.0 so it is a little different. I am under the "Surfaces" option box on the left. I go to Surfaces> Extrude and I click the box next to extrude. It brings up Extrude options.

Then I do what you did I checked everything and it looks the same as yours. Then I click extrude and I get an error.

"Error: Extrude: Select at least to NURBS curves; profile curve(s), then path the curve."

Got a clue? Thanks for the screenshots and help guys. I really appreciate this.

# 9 19-12-2006 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber
you must use a nurbs circle as a profile and make a path with CV curve, or EP curve or both, check it out?? I forget.

but reset the options and do what Simon showed you before delving into what i have shown you, better to go slow. if you still get an error using a nurbs circle (is it in object mode when you extrude??) and an EP curve with reset options then you might be selecting in the wrong order, I think it is circle first/shift/select path curve/apply

can you show us what you re trying to do, it would be more helpful. user added image

user added image

# 10 19-12-2006 , 09:38 PM
Sorry about that. It works now! I forgot to make a circle at first. Thanks so much guys! This will help a bunch. Appreciate it.