Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-08-2008 , 12:11 PM

Face won't extrude along curve

Maya 8.5, running on a Precision 690, 2 Gig RAM, OS: Windows XP Pro

Hello. I am trying to extrude a polygon face along a curve which is snapped to the face center. The face is from a simple cube created for just this action.

I select the face, select the curve, click extrude with the box checked for "use selected curve for extrusion". The face offsets without following the curve. If I increase divisions in the attributes editor it begins to move along the curve but not all the way to the end point.

before it finishes following the curve, the extrusion twists and arcs back to the starting point of the curve where it touches the extruded face.

How far along the selected curve the extrusion follows before it twists and circles back is relative to the number of divisions I select. More divisions, the further along the curve it goes. However I have given it 400 divisions just to see what happens -- it still doesn't make it all the way to the end of the curve, which has but 14 spans.

I hope I have explained this well enough to describe the problem. Anyone with any ideas as to why this isn't working properly, I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Tristan

# 2 09-08-2008 , 01:42 PM
i think you just need to reverse the direction of the curve and then try it again.

# 3 09-08-2008 , 01:46 PM
Hi. I should have said that I had already tried that.

Also tried rebuilding the curve, both linear and cubic. No change.

Anyone know what's going on?

Tristan

# 4 09-08-2008 , 03:37 PM
to be honest, it still sounds like a problem with the curve direction. post up a picture so we can the problem. you could also try reversing the normals on the polygon (though i doubt that will do anything) and also playing with the first few extrude options in the history.