Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 12-02-2009 , 08:32 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
ok did some more tweeking nuthing major

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 12-02-2009 , 11:35 AM
Looking really good murambi, great job on the tire treads. How are the render times.

# 18 12-02-2009 , 10:43 PM
Acid44
im not likin the way the bottom of the front bumper is, it's sitting way too high for me and the shape of it is pretty ugly right now, not that the shape should be changed but i think it would make a huge difference to the appearance of the whole car if you put another panel section of bumper under it so it smooths out better, like how the first version of it was, flat at the bottom... user added image

# 19 13-02-2009 , 11:23 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
leonlabyk: thanks man i have a baby of a computer so when i rendered at resolution of 2048 by 1536 it did it in about 15min

acid44: really i kinda like, it i experimented with different bumpers and i liked this best dunno if ill change it.......

# 20 13-02-2009 , 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
I see somebody's been practicing, looking good murambi. I see a few dents in the lines, like along the roof and trunk and that's pretty much my only complaint :p

- Genny
# 21 13-02-2009 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bigtommyb
Its looking much better now. user added image love the alloys too i would have the nuts inset into them but appart from that really nice work.

T

It looks really good. But i agree the bolts do look a bit to o exposed. The center of the rim. the actual wheel mount looks a bit on the small side as well. I'm sure you have a ref image but here's another I was just looking at.

user added image

# 22 13-02-2009 , 08:56 PM
Subscriber
I agree with GecT that you really have practiced very hard. And it shows. I did notice that the lettering on your sidewalls is backwards. You may want to flip your bump map over.

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 23 13-02-2009 , 08:57 PM
Subscriber
But again I may not see it correctly. If so sorry!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 24 13-02-2009 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber
nope says Toyo Proxies just fine user added image Just to agree with the other posts. a few of the lines in the car could be smoother and the front bumper is a little high in my opinion just a bit of tweaking and it will be really good.

T

# 25 13-02-2009 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
Well, my mistake! Thanks!

# 26 14-02-2009 , 02:18 AM
Nice concept. And very nice renders and settings. Can i ask how you have your render settings?

As far as crits go heres a few things you may be missing but i cant be sure, some you should add, some you could do without.

-Windshield Wipers, i didnt see any in the views but it might just be weird angles. They are actually pretty simple to make and i doubt would be hard at this stage. easily overlooked.

-Cyclops, The rear center light usually mounted in the back of the trunk near the top of it. or in the rear window. Standard on cars since the '90s. Can add lot of "character" to a vehicule.

-i didnt see any lock section on thedoor handles but there may be one.

-License Plate lights used to light the rear plate at night. Required for street legal cars.

-Backup/reversing lights.

-"B" beam. The beam usually located between the front and rear door on 4 door vehicules following the frame. What the rear door is mounted and pivots from. From the images i dont see how the rear doors are mounted to anything. I have never seen a car without one. I would consider this to be a major need... as it makes the car unstable and is needed for crash safety reasons. I understand its just a concept but for future reference.

-Without much color detail on the front lights its hard to tell but cars need a designated turn signal visible from the front and side of the car.

Now those are things i think the car should have as for standard car needs. Because its a concept theres technically no wrong design but i agree with the other person that mentioned the front bumper. I think a lower one with a little less detail might work pretty well. But its your choice. With the sporty look of this one you might want to try foglights as you seem to have place for them already.

The roof for being so long and kind of bland you might want to add the traditional "fin" entenna most BMWs have in the back. Maybe a sunroof.

BMWs have a traditional look to the grills as most other automakers. This is pretty standard on all of thier vehicules. I think yours is a little too Sharp edges. Doesnt have the gentle grill edges most BMWs have.

Personally i really liked the first headlights. The more agressive powerful ones. I would also think they fit the more agressive bumper and hood. And i think the Hood to Bumper transition is very nice design although i dont care for the rest of the bumper.

All of this is asthetic though so take what you want of course. I really do love the renders and cant wait to see more.

# 27 14-02-2009 , 09:54 AM
Subscriber
The mazda RX-8 broke the tradition of needing a B beam so its not essensial. I would agree with the shark fin antenna (google image it - easy to make and u can just pop it on top 5 min job) and wipers its all the little details that i think make an image go from good to great.

Ive also noticed that the wing mirrors are tiny. just scale them up a little.

I would love to know what your workflow was on creating this... did u make each individual part (bonnet, bumpers, fenders, doors...etc) or did u make the whole thing and break it down to parts after?

# 28 17-02-2009 , 08:19 PM
Although the RX-8 doesnt have a "B" beam if you notice its also not a full length 4 door. Its a small front door with a small suicide rear entry door, combined they are about the same length as a traditional coupe door. This car however is a true 4 door sedan which should have the "B" beam.

but dont get me wrong i dont think the vehicule requirs a "b" beam but it does seem to be standard for that design.

# 29 18-02-2009 , 07:51 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
thanks guys for all the comments first of all im far from finished with this and i do still have to iron out some parts and more stuff like wipers and stuff
and about the b-beam ill add it, i just wanted to see what it would look like without one
@twisteddragon:if you want i can email you the tut that i followed it was written by one of the members here also about my workflow i built the whole base mesh to give me a rough idea of what i was gonna change
@abie1: i do have many references for the rims but i decided to build my own ill make the changes you proposed much later
also do you think i should add a spoiler to this im trying to give it a sporty look but also dont want it to go the way of looking like subarus and mitsubishis maybe like a slr mclaren

# 30 18-02-2009 , 07:55 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
also was it me or this website been downfor a few days