Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 11-03-2012 , 03:19 PM
Lifetime Member
Looking good so far. Have you decided on the final look you will be going for?

There is a nice, short tutorial "Ambient Occlusion Render Layers" you can look into for that clay type renders. (Under the free tutorial section).

# 47 13-03-2012 , 05:39 PM
It's gonna look like I haven't done anything, but I've spent many hours thickening all the panels and fixing up all the stray vertex's that went in all kinds of wacky directions after doing extrude operations. Basically it was boring, fiddly, thankless work that had to be done (I think).

user added image

user added image

If I decide later to model up the interior this will make it easier, anyway I always make cars with thickened panels, I don't know if it is standard practice but that's my method so I'll stick with it. I'll probably start on the window frames next, or the VW emblem, or the wheels, or bumper bars. Maybe I will just take a brake from it for a while.

(I just discovered the soft wireframe option for the viewport so at least they screen shots look a bit nicer.)

# 48 13-03-2012 , 05:47 PM

Have you decided on the final look you will be going for?

Sorry, I didn't see your question. No I haven't decided on anything other that making the mesh replicate a particular type of Kombi that I have reference photos of. It will probable just end up a shiny showroom style render but it could go into rusty and worn territory, depends what I learn about rendering and texturing in Maya.

# 49 13-03-2012 , 10:23 PM
Acid44
Looking great man, can see that you're learning a lot. Giving the panels depth can be some REALLY tedious stuff, I hate that part user added image

# 50 14-03-2012 , 06:57 AM
I did more body work instead. I call it making the model airtight so that it will cast proper shadows.

user added image

user added image

Who knows how detailed I'll go with this model, the chassis might never get more detailed

# 51 15-03-2012 , 01:58 PM
I've been working on the door frames and how that all works with the body shape, alterations were made as I realized some things were not as I had imagined them to be. All that area is looking more solid and defined now.

user added image
user added image

Also put in the little indentations in front for where the window wipers connect to.

# 52 16-03-2012 , 05:43 PM
I did some major revisions on the angle of the windscreen frames where the roof and door all meet up, you won't notice but you reach a point where you realize the blue prints might be a little inaccurate and just start going by reference images. So to make up for the fact that these changes aren't very noticeable I've tested out the occlusion rendering.

user added image

Oh you might notice that the doors have a new frame bit added.

user added image
user added image
user added image

I'll do the wheels next, can't leave it hanging in mid air like that. I've a perfectly good set of VW wheels made in Lightwave, but this is Maya so I suppose I have to make em here or it will feel like cheating.

# 53 17-03-2012 , 02:52 PM
This...

user added image

...freakin wheel, caused me so much confusion and turmoil I almost wanted to divorce Maya. Basically something I thought would be fun and easy turned into the exact opposite of those two words. Mostly it was just down to my ignorance of the software, but there were a few things that were just plain infuriating, like the interactive split tool sometimes working and sometime not, and a clipping plane that wouldn't let me get right up close for detail work. I also didn't realize that when you make a disk, you have to drag it out and delete the sides and unwanted cap or else you will be working with a doubled up poly turd. But that's all done now and I've calmed down. I learned from those things.

user added image
user added image
user added image

And the whole time I had that previously modeled Lightwave wheel teasing me saying, "go ahead, use me, you know you want to." Glad this website exists, I doubt I could keep going without it.

Last edited by djwaterman; 17-03-2012 at 02:54 PM.
# 54 17-03-2012 , 04:02 PM
EduSciVis-er
You know how to adjust the near clipping plane now? And I've never used a disk, it just seems weird and confusing.

# 55 18-03-2012 , 01:30 AM
Yes I think I know about the camera clipping plane, I put the minimum right back to zero, but it still clips if you go in real tight. The disk (cylinder) primitive is not hard to use at all, it's just like dragging out a box, but you just have to know that if you just want the disk part you need to delete all the sides and stuff. I guess this would hold true for a box or any of the other primitives. My frustration is because I think I'm getting on top of Maya and then I'll discover that I'm indeed ignorant of some important aspect, it's like a slap down.

Also, because I modeled the wheel separately, I think I might have been fighting a scaling issue, in that my wheel was actually tiny, so some of the tools might've had issues with that. I discovered this when I imported the wheel into the Kombi scene and it was a small green speck in the center of the scene that had to be scaled up.

Last edited by djwaterman; 18-03-2012 at 01:35 AM.
# 56 18-03-2012 , 09:17 AM
Hood emblem.

user added image

# 57 19-03-2012 , 02:28 PM
You can see here that the logo looks okay in an occlusion only render.

user added image

But here is what it really looks like with a phong shader, quite bumpy and dented.

user added image

I'll try re-making it later using a script called Membrane to conform it to the shape of the hood, and then extrude it to give it depth. Thanks to CTBram for the tip.

# 58 19-03-2012 , 05:44 PM
So I went ahead and re-made the logo as a planer mesh with more segments and used the Membrane script, you can see here that it has conformed to the shape of the hood.

user added image

Then I just did a simple extrude on the edge

user added image

The result is way better without the lumps and dents I had before.

user added image

Just a little bridge work between the V and W...

user added image

Much nicer than before, here's the link that CTBram gave me. https://mitchzais.blogspot.com.au/201...-membrane.html

user added image
user added image

# 59 19-03-2012 , 06:18 PM
Lifetime Member
That emblem is looking really good djwaterman.

# 60 20-03-2012 , 05:17 PM
Thanks for saying. Now I realize that I have come to that part of the project which is all about details. Below I have added the little insert points for the door hinges,

user added image

Then making the hinges and putting them in. This sort of small object stuff is actually where I start to learn how to work faster.

user added image

I also start to find out if I have got the main body shape right, these smaller parts you don't notice when you start, so when you get to them and try to place them and they don't fit, you know you have problems.

user added image

I've also added the roof gutter that runs around the whole van, it has two small drain spouts on either side at the front about the windshields, and I've started working on the front bumper bar.

user added image