Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 61 23-12-2004 , 04:13 AM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 62 23-12-2004 , 08:25 AM
Subscriber
Your head geometry is very clean, good job.
Hey Peltra those are gr8 hand refs!!!

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 63 23-12-2004 , 09:59 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey DJ

Yes take heed on those references that have been supplied but also look at your own terms of how things 'sit'. The thumb is the biggest offender here, because if you relax your own hand you'll see that it doesn't come from the side of the palm but is kind of hanging off the lower side and is also pointing away from the wrist in a bit too.

Because you are building a human these things are gonna stand out a mile away because we are so used to looking at ourselves from day to day. Also I would advise against the detailed knucklebones right now too until you have the overal shape sorted. I understand you wanna get it done and looking cool and stuff but if you ease off the gas a little and concentrate on the important stuff I think it will be a much improved model, not only to us but more importantly- yourself.

Hope this is a useful rant for you as always

_J

Last edited by Jay; 23-12-2004 at 10:04 AM.
# 64 23-12-2004 , 11:22 PM
Peltra: hehe.. I know that the knuckle lines aren't that far, I just was too tired to fix those before I got to bed. Thanks for the refs!

Rubberchicken: Thanks... but after wathing a thread at CG Talk originally started by Stahlberg I wonder if thats way too much geometry around the mouth. He showed a female head with lots less faces that looked real good rendered. He also uses 5-sides faces... and claiming that they are no problem if you put them at the right place.... hm.. .. to 5-sides or not to 5-sides, that's the question.

Jango: thanks for your input, very uselful as usual. You're right about the details, I actually shouldn't make it too detailed since I wasn't planning to do any real close-ups of the hands. If they look ok from distance I'm satisfied. I wanna start texturing and posing some day too :p

# 65 23-12-2004 , 11:35 PM
Dj

No worries, Steve Stahlberg is an inspiration for me, always will be as his methods are well, right.

Post me the link would you I'd like to have a muse

_J

# 66 23-12-2004 , 11:46 PM

# 67 25-12-2004 , 03:27 PM
some more work on the hand. Note there is no texture, just tested the fingernails by applying another color to those faces. Looks better than before, still needs some work though.

Attached Thumbnails
# 68 25-12-2004 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
good work ..keep tweeking till ur satisfied with it

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 69 26-12-2004 , 03:33 AM
thanks anita, loved your work on Angelina Jolie. Wish you good luck on Brando user added image

# 70 29-03-2005 , 09:37 PM
Haven't worked on this for a while, but now I started again... so I've tweaked some here and there and did a pair of boots.

Attached Thumbnails
# 71 29-03-2005 , 10:32 PM
Technical Director
The ear and mouth look a tad off. But good job so far!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 72 30-03-2005 , 07:10 AM
Dj

Yeah I think some tweaks on the face are in order the neck is very sharp at the fore and the lips are very wide and a bit shapeless right now. I think the ears need some more work as they are very flat too, add some meat on the lobes etc.

Sorry if this a harsh crit.

Also things like boots etc will be irrellevant if the model doesnt look right from the off, people will look straight at the incorrect stuff and ignore the rest, so beware of this sort of thing too.

Regards
Jango

# 73 30-03-2005 , 11:33 AM
Hey Jango, I like all constructive critics so not to worry. Actually that render didn't came out very well at all I see now. I'll leave out FG until I've become a MOR (Master Of Rendering). The ears indeed look very bad, but they look much better in reality. I've fixed the neck. I did the boots because I didn't wanted to waste time on modeling the feet perfectly when she would use some kind of foot wear anyways. I'll post a better render when I get home.

# 74 30-03-2005 , 06:17 PM
I've changed some of the body proportions and some minor tweaks, here's a screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails
# 75 31-03-2005 , 12:27 PM

Ears

Originally posted by DJbLAZER
Some small changes on the nose and lips. I know there are some small flaws but can anyone see some big ones?

The ears look really out of place. As for the camera troubles, you seem to be working very close to the model, so perhaps you should scale it up, and maybe the camera perspective won't make such a big impact?

Look at the relative size of the ear in the perspective view up close and in the orthogonal view ;-)

Good modelling, but the ears stick out against the rest, partially because they look a lot more refined and complete than the face itself.

I would be interested in having those ears! always tricky and boring to make yourself, much easier to download some!

Looking forward to seeing how much further it got.