Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 11-10-2008 , 09:35 AM
Can we see a wire of the front bumper again. Some of the edges look awkward. Might need to tweak the topo a little bit. Can be tricky on cars with suck hard edges in one direction but an overall smooth curve.

and the Door seem does not extend through the side skirt. you can see it well in the side view of the car.

# 32 12-10-2008 , 03:43 PM
Subscriber
i shall post but ive saved it with smooth on n i dont know how to take it off lol

# 33 12-10-2008 , 03:47 PM
Subscriber
it's probably in the history of the object you smoothed, just delete the node and it should retrun to normal

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 34 12-10-2008 , 04:00 PM
Subscriber
right heres the shots i see what u mean about the door the split runs across the bottom of the car instead of each point on the skirt how does one go about that then lol
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 35 12-10-2008 , 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Sicky
i shall post but ive saved it with smooth on n i dont know how to take it off lol

If you've not deleted the histroy then open up the attribute editor, find the smooth node, then change the divisions to 0 that should un smooth it.

I wouldnt just delete the node as it might mess up the rest of the nodes down stream from the smooth if you made and changes after applying the smooth.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 36 13-10-2008 , 12:35 AM
Subscriber
this model is turnin into a complete nightmare lol
the renders look kak theres seem problems when mirroring geomarty i just want to put it aside and start something else lol

# 37 13-10-2008 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
mirror geometry is a broken function that seems to only work on simple meshes.

you should make sure the verts on the border edges are aligned the way you want them to be then move the pivot poin and snap that to one of the verts (push the insert key and hold down x to snap to grid or v to verts)

then find duplicate special (i think its in edit) and go to the option box. reset the controls and set the x axis (or whatever axis you're mirroring on) to -1

hit duplicate and then merge the two meshes

then select the border edges (can do this by right clicking while holding down shift or doing it from the menus select > border edge) and get all the border edges you want to merge

then hold down ctrl and right click to bring up the markingi menu. go to To verticies > contained vertices (or which ever option gives you all the verts on the border edges and then merge the verticies (make sure your merge thrteasehold is low or they will all merge to one point)

in short all you do is duplicate the geometry and merge the vertices user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 38 13-10-2008 , 04:15 AM
You dont need duplicate special, just select it CTRL + D set x (or whatever axis) to -1 then mesh combine then merge verts (which I would drag to select and use the merge vert function, depending on the merge tollerance it should do all of em in 1

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 39 13-10-2008 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
it doesnt work with me lol i think i may be doin it wrong it just copys the image

# 40 13-10-2008 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
duplicate mesh
mirror mesh
combine meshes
merge verticies

you can just hit ctrl+d to duplicate and then type -1 in the scale each time you want to duplicate things
but if you've got a lot to mirror on the same axis (but not all at once) you just use duplicate special once and after that hit Ctrl+shift+d

setting up duplicate special takes as much time as doing it manually step by step but you get your rewards after the second time of duplicating another mesh the same way

# 41 13-10-2008 , 07:33 AM
Sometimes, especially for duplicate special, you need to freeze transformations for it to work probably.
And you don't have to duplicate it over the origin. Using a negative value for scale will invert the object (in the relevant axis) over the pivot.

You need to make sure your border edge is on a single plane(parallel to one of the axis) - In your case all the vertices on the border edge need to have 0 value in either x, y(unlikely) or z.
Then place the pivot anywhere on that plane(the origin will do for most cases), freeze transformations and duplicate with a negative value.
Hope this helps,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 42 14-10-2008 , 06:42 AM
Subscriber
heres a little rendermagig i did as a test im gonna conclude this one now i wantto start a new project

user added image

# 43 14-10-2008 , 07:58 AM
Subscriber
so um.... where's the car?

nah i'm kidding, i can see it in it's stealthy-like existence

very shiny

# 44 14-10-2008 , 04:48 PM
Subscriber
lol yeah ill add some lights n stuff once i figure out how lol never done anything like that b4 so itll be something new probs post it again later user added image

# 45 14-10-2008 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber
well i added a bit of light lol im starting anew project now
going for a mitsi evo 8 i realy like the evos so look out for a new thread user added image
user added image