Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-10-2004 , 05:16 PM

Texturing a poly object???

Can anyone run me through the steps I would need to take to texture a polygonal object, such as a Trex, Lightsaber, and a face? Thanks user added image

# 2 23-10-2004 , 05:28 PM
The Maya Mountain
1) UV Map the object.
2) Lay out the UVs into the upper-right quadrant of the UV Texture Editor
3) Take a snapshot of the UV layout from the UV Texture Editor.
4) Open the snapshot in Photoshop (or its equivalent).
5) Create the texture, using the snapshot as your guide.
6) Map the texture to a material and apply the material to the object.

# 3 23-10-2004 , 09:20 PM
Im confused on how to make a UV map tho...... I cant seem to get them to turn out right.

# 4 23-10-2004 , 10:35 PM
You're going to need to be a bit more specific for us to help you. Are you using automatic mapping or trying to do specific mappings on certain parts of the object? Or something else entirely?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
-Bilbo Baggins
# 5 23-10-2004 , 10:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
It does take practice. I've got a brief video at my site that might help and we have more in-depth videos here at SM, although not in the free section.

Overall, though, you use the mapping tools under Edit Polygons > Texture > to map groups of faces and in the UV Texture Editor, move, cut, and sew UV shells together to form the layout how you like.

# 6 24-10-2004 , 10:16 PM
well, for the trex and face, i would like to map specific thigs to certain parts of the object. While on the lightsaber I would like to just map a photo of a saber over top of the 3d model I have created.