Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 29-04-2009 , 12:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
As a Star Wars fan... I approve. user added image

# 32 29-04-2009 , 01:52 PM
Subscriber
Well, I do thank you very much. It surely means a lot to me that you liked it!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 33 02-05-2009 , 12:03 AM
Subscriber
Good evening once again! Well, here it is may 1st, and I had said I would be done with the modeling. But seems I may have to finish on Sunday. Got the rear of it all done and a good way done with the gun turret on top. And the radar still needs finishing up. So wanted to post as to what my plans are, and that I am trying to hurry. Anyway, 5pm here and time for a glass of wine!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 34 02-05-2009 , 11:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Being a fan of Star wars (huge) I approve of this too. You've done it justice for sure. Nothing to crit, just keep up the great work.

Jay

# 35 02-05-2009 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
Jay, that is very kind of you. It pleases me very much that you guys being Star Wars fans and think I am doing it justice. I am having so much fun with it! Thanks!!

# 36 03-05-2009 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
Evening everyone! I did get the modeling finished up. Really had hoped it would have been on the 1st. I had liked the thought of doing the Falcon for two reasons. First to try and make something that at least resembled it, as that would quite a challenge for me. And also the texturing. I have been working with dirt and grunge mapping in my personal project and this seemed a good opportunity also as the Falcon has a lot of wear and tear. The picture I am posting is what I have as reference, and I certainly don't think I can do that, but seems a lot of fun to try. The odds are certainly better that I will look foolish! But I would like to give it a shot.

Hope everyone had a nice weekend!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 03-05-2009 , 08:46 PM
Subscriber
And the reference for texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

# 38 07-05-2009 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
Good afternoon everyone! well 5pm here and time for a glass of wine. I have managed to get almost 50% of the UV's layout, and have applied a texture that I hope to use as a base and build on that. It is nice to see all of the work being done in this competition, and that so many are still working hard. Hope everyone is having fun!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 39 08-05-2009 , 04:35 PM
Really liking the look of the Falcon Tom, the beaten metal look of the panels is nice and the colour looks just like the original!
Keep it up, I know the end result will be worth the wait!

# 40 08-05-2009 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
Thank you Dango!! You have always been so kind about my work, and I appreciate it. The Grubs are certainly looking good, and your hard work shows!! We are still having fun, right? ;-)

# 41 12-05-2009 , 12:29 AM
Subscriber
Good evening!! I really do apologize for not posting an update sooner. I really didn't think that the UVing would have taken a week, but it took me till today (8 days). Been trying to follow some sort of schedule on this project. I am happy to move past this. The radar dish is not in the render, but will be next time. I have just now finished the UV's, so somethings may be a little out of place, or even missing! I just will try and make sure I don't fall behind on updates, like the last couple. Hope everyone has a very good evening, or day!

Attached Thumbnails

# 42 12-05-2009 , 12:51 AM
Subscriber
dude... that is awesome.
nice work on the textures
the front seems a bit bare compared to the body now :p

i'd like to see what you do with this in the final composition

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 43 12-05-2009 , 02:33 AM
Subscriber
Chirone, thank you so very much!! I do appreciate your comments very much!! Yes, I agree that the front looks a little bare. But trying to stay with what the original looked like as much as I am able!! I really have not done something quite this intense as the dirt and grime as this will require, so just really trying to wing it and learn as I go. This is a challenge, and I am doing that to myself. But, again, thank you for your comments, as I honestly do appreciate it!!! ;-)

# 44 12-05-2009 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
OH!! The final composition!! About the 2nd week into this I was out having a smoke one night and a thought came to me and I laughed. But kept thinking on it and I believe that is what I will do. It will bit different, and hope that you like it!!

# 45 12-05-2009 , 03:48 AM
Subscriber
Chirone, I generally study my work before bed. And as I did I see more what you mean about the front pylons, that is what I call them, are not as detailed with the grime and dirt. Thank you!! I will certainly check on that in the morning!!