Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 01-01-2011 , 06:56 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

Rigging Missouri

I never liked rigging, but now I am really starting to hate it, during the past few days I must have read a couple of books and seen a dozen ( starts of) tutorials, I started out by working of a book called Hyper realistic creature creation, but in the end didn't work out for me ( will spare you the details, but the short version entails that there where to many linked scripts to my liking which can -Bliep- up the rig), now for the second time I stumble upon something which annoys me greatly and I hope you guys can help me out with this one..freeze transformations.
Now I know what it is, but unfortunately for me I have made my little green friend with his arms in a ( approx)45 degree angle which in turn means that when I freeze transforms the manipulator snaps to world space coordinates and I really want to move along a more natural axis instead of fighting the controls all the time.
So if someone knows off a way of freezing the transforms without losing the manipulator-orientation please let me know.( I want this because freeze transformations zeroes out values in the channelbox).

I also want to incorporate the following:
-pinning without snapping: I mean pinning in a motionbuilder/human IK kinda way but when I turn it of I don't want it to snap back at a previous location ( same goes for the IK/FK blending), so when I pick the hand/wrist control and pull it to the right the whole body follows

- a easy way to get animation transfered from a low ress mesh to a higher polycount model ( i am not talking wrap deformer)

# 2 01-01-2011 , 10:15 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Found a less than elegant solution,before assigning a controller to any joint/handle;
-center pivot
-snap to origin ( of the scene of course)
-freeze transforms
-then group it and move the group and rotate as you like

this way maya maintains the objects local rotation axis, you have a parentnode on top but hey you can't win them all