Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-02-2011 , 06:43 PM
rm3d

booleans not working

what do you do if booleans just refuses to work? trying to union two polygons together, have already done it to one of the polygons and it was fine now when i try to boolean another polygon to it is just refuses to work. is there any other function that is close to what a boolean does?
thanks if you can help

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk
# 2 04-02-2011 , 07:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Depending on the complexity of the two polygons, you could try just vertex snapping them together, combining, then merging vertices. Or if they have the same num of edges, bridge would probably work. Make sure when booleaning (?) that all edges are fully penetrating. They can be quite finicky about seemingly random things.

# 3 04-02-2011 , 08:07 PM
If you search for booleans in the Maya Help (F1), you'll find several prerequisites that must be met for booleans to work properly.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 04-02-2011 , 09:23 PM
Lifetime Member
Yes Perfecto and stwert are correct. Booleans are VERY tempermental mate...and frustrating. I have eve had to extract the faces in the area I want to boolean, then do the union and then snap the extracted faces back to the original geo. Can you screenshot what you are trying to do to give us a better idea? There are many ways to do things in Maya..you might be able to do it as stwert has suggested by manually joining them...sometimes its less of a pain to do it that way.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 04-02-2011 , 10:03 PM
rm3d
hey no real need to screen shot if you have done the spitfire tutorial on here, im sort of following it with my own blueprints, attached the front wing with booleans and it was fine, but the back wing just wont attach, im just gonna have to do it the longer way by combining and merging. lol. well unless you guys have a solution hehe

Attached Thumbnails

the more I Think I know about Maya the less I seem to know about it.

check me out www.rm3d.co.uk