Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 02-05-2003 , 03:26 AM
Subscriber
Hi there Leeman. Your work is wonderfull, I have a lot of respect for it. I don't think I can comment on some of your personal problems because so far there just is not enough information to help with that.

But in your post I see a burning desire in you to get what is in your heart out in to the real world and express yourself.

You obviously understand that maya is a very powerfull tool. After all you choose to use that. In my humble personal opinion, (not telling you how to live your life just something to consider) your body is also a part of that tool we lovingly call Maya. How else are you going to tell it do the wonderful work you have so far. So my point is maybe some rest now and then at least is as needed as say deleting the construction histroy so the computer dosn't get slow on you.

BTW more personal opinion. maybe you are liking or identifying yourself with the starving and some what excentric artist. That starving and excentric artist is more of a myth than anything else about art ! There are a couple that made names for them selves but they are the exception that more confirm my point. Picoso or Warhal were great ,, and is mentioned a lot because people like strange people.. but his work pales compared to some others who were not starving and excentric. Titon, Rubense, Cezane, and Mr leonardo. Also Steven Spealberg or Mr Gorge Luccas. All of them did not fit in to that stereo type nearly as much, and thier work is far more moving emotionally over all. The same is true for modern artist. They get rest, they have other interests, they work in well lite places.

(sorry if I misspelled names)

Last edited by Pony; 02-05-2003 at 04:49 AM.
# 17 02-05-2003 , 03:43 AM
The Maya Mountain
Excerise?

What's that? user added image

j/k

Working 40 hours straight might not be the best thing to do, but I don't have much room to talk. lol I work a good 9-10 hours at a time when I've got a big project. user added image

Save often!

# 18 02-05-2003 , 04:41 AM
I would like to comment here as well. First, I do not do this. I am a writer but my partner, pony does. I suppose I am more like a friend and supporter of artists. I feel it makes me a little more objective.
The point here, in my humble opinion, is balance and taking care of your body. Such as eyes, spine, brain, and parts like that. If you do not take care of them one day they will stop working for you and then you really will be up the proverbial creek. LOL
Also fatigue causes confusion and clouded thinking. Learn where that line is for you so you know when you are crossing it and can get away from your work. Take a much deserved break and return a while later refreshed and ready for more.
Hope I do not sound too much like a "mom" here....LOL

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 19 02-05-2003 , 06:40 AM
Subscriber
Hey, about the whole modelling thing and ruining health.. i agree with you guys.. but seriously.. like mike said.. if you have to make a deadline.. or just have that passion to model at one time, more than any other... GO FOR IT!.. Hahaha, just stand up every hour or 2 and take a good stretch.. go grab a glass of water and inform someone around the house or on phone with a friend about your progress. I say going for 10-15 hours... psshht.. thats fine! Going for a full 24 hours is getting to the point of when you should take a break.. but when you get to 40 or so.. you have to realise that its scientifically proven that your brain acts as a old man, you just dont function right.. and i also can back this up. Once you get to the 15 hour mark ( i say max).. takea long break (generally a sleep).. and refresh your mind... when you get back to work you will probably be critisizing your own latest work on the model.. and redo those steps anyways in the last hour. The only reason for this is because you were so out of it that what you thought was spectacular was actually spectacular shit. I think what you have made though is great.. so you kept quite focused modelling this. Anyways, enough for the talk... just if its for a deadline, or you get that passion.. go for that goal and dont let the time pass by and then your out of the "groove". Cya.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 20 02-05-2003 , 09:01 AM
user added image thats amazing> thanks for so much help! I am making a deadline, and things have been going smoothly. About my body breaking down, the comparisons of deleting construction history to get a new start, that was a good one!user added image Also going out with a camera is actually a really smart idea..>I live right next to the beach too so its not too bad outside. Thanks for the interest everyone, I can spare a little bit of time for breaks. When I get the movie done Ill let everyone know so they can watch it. Thanks

JOIN MY CULTIVATION
# 21 02-05-2003 , 10:27 AM
You guys helped me to come up with my new excuse " It takes alot to be alot" What do you think?

JOIN MY CULTIVATION
# 22 02-05-2003 , 04:31 PM
Outstanding...I really like that.
^5

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 23 02-05-2003 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
Theres a easy way to stay on your computer... do you have anyone else in the house like brother or something. Well, if not you can still do this but you will probably get in trouble (im basing it on you have people telling you to get off the comp.. which i overhead in this thread). Buy a chain, and a masterlock.. and then get a lighter. The combo to the lock is on the package... so take the chain, wrap it all around your chair, and yourself.. so that its not physically possible to get out.... (make sure your arms are free and that you have food infront of yourself).. then lock it.. and burn the combo user added image. You will be "stucK" on your computer for hours and hours until they finally decide to chop off the chain user added image. Heheh. BTW, make sure you go inside your case, and pull out the power button and reset buttons switch from the MB user added image.. this way you cant shut it down unless they get to the powercord... which you crazyglue into the socket.. along with the wall plugs, and all of the connections.. your laughin!

Hahaha, well.. ok that wouldnt work probably... but just let them know that this is what you really enjoy doing..and you are working towards goals and stuff... try to sit down with them and seriouly explain why you are on your computer so much. Maybe you want to do this for a career.. explain that to them.. and how its the same as anyone else would acheive their goals for being a sports player or w/e. And if you want to get them off your back... every day set a timetable that you will go out for half a hour to do w/e... take pictures of textures or something, but dont let them know your going out to continue working on 3d.. just go walk around or w/e.. and also, maybe get a part time job on the weekend if your not in a money crunch.. just so that they see you are working as well. That last paragraph should work fine.. if not i dont know what would user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 02-05-2003 at 07:45 PM.
# 24 02-05-2003 , 10:44 PM
Well the reason why im on the computer all the time could be because I get extremely depressed and I feel better when I do 3d or paint or sculpt , just creating anything. I live with my sister and its terrible, my family doesnt care about my plans or my future, but you guys did hit it right on the mark about them caring about my health and trying to look out for me, but telling me to get a job in something other than 3d is not a good recomendation because, like I said earlier, I cant live without art, its that simple. But Ill continue to do the stuff I do, and try my best to ignore distractions

JOIN MY CULTIVATION
# 25 03-05-2003 , 12:03 AM
added background

JOIN MY CULTIVATION
# 26 03-05-2003 , 12:26 AM
Just going back to a few post earlier. Its a sad fact that working in 3d, you get so wrapped up in working that you forget to take a break and live life a bit... I'm really guilty of that... when im in a modeling mood I can go 12-15 hours straight, then my wife walks by and will say hey you going to talk to me or what.. than I clue in how much I was zoned out.

Not to mention that sitting infront of a computer screen all day is not great for your health... Before I started 3D I was training 3 times a week and was in great shape.. Now I find it hard to get motivated to get my butt off the comp and go exercise.

If you over work, not only are you hurting your self you work will suffer as well in its quality.

I guess the best thing is like Mike said make deadlines for your self as to how long your going to work that day and after that time is done go out have a bit of fun and get refreashed a bit....even if its taking a walk, going to a movie. You will be suprized how much a break can focus you even more on work when you come back with fresh eyes.

As far as the faimly thing, I to am an artist both traditional and 3D, and would find it really hard to give it up. So all I can say is if this is what you want to do... get as good as you can and get a career going a prove them wrong...

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 27 03-05-2003 , 01:50 AM
haha kurt we think alike! Yes I used to go to the gym everyday and I reached my highest weight 220 lbs. of great muscle mass. But I get so involved as well, and I soon stopped going to the gym. I now weigh 150 lbs and thats really really skinny for a person thats 6'3 like myself.ok not that skinny but compared to what I was. Also Kurt, I am doing exactly what you have just suggested < Im proving everyone wrong that I am truly a 3d/2D professional that can handle working in the industry. And I wont stop until I succeed. Im considering college, could anybody recommend a good school? Its all about quality so I can become very educated.

JOIN MY CULTIVATION
# 28 03-05-2003 , 02:04 AM
Dont know any schools in the US but I know there are some members who can say which ones are good.

hehe im just under 6.2. When I was kick boxing I was down to 157 pounds lean now im about 190, but I been lifting weights for a year so a lot of that is muscle but the tummy not as tight as it was since i started 3d muhahahah.. Must be the wifes cooking and sitting on my ass modeliing....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 29 03-05-2003 , 02:18 AM
now I need help but its not on this image since this image is done. But on an animation I am about to create, Suppose Im going to have a blade cut through a polygon mesh, but I want the skin to peel and the blood to gush out. Now, I have thought about seperating the mesh into the sectionsand creating a skin overlay, but thats not good. I also thought about cutting holes in the polygon mesh and then opening them up with clusters. What looks the most real

JOIN MY CULTIVATION
# 30 03-05-2003 , 02:23 AM
you guys took off the picture with the background? Phew thanks! I really made a mistake posting it because it took about 2 minutes to make and it made the image look terrible.

JOIN MY CULTIVATION