Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-07-2016 , 10:47 PM

Animating character - what am I doing wrong?

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to animation, literally started just now - I made a very simple, voxel model, made a skeleton, skinned everything and am ready to start animating.

I watched a video tutorial and figured out that you select a key, you move your skeleton as desired, you then hit S to save that frame. Then move onto the next frame and repeat, etc.

I'm trying to do that, but my character's position isn't saving between one frame and the other.

I select frame 1, move my skeleton as desired, select everything (meshes and skeleton and all), hit S, then move onto frame 2, hit S again, move my skeleton as desired, select everything then hit S again. Then when I switch between frame 1 and 2, the first frame didn't save for whatever reason and there is no animation.

I'm confused; what am I doing wrong?

Any help much appreciated!

Here's a video showing what I'm doing: https://streamable.com/kpsg

# 2 29-07-2016 , 07:22 AM
Technical Director
The issue that you're experiencing is that you're selecting the geometry when you key. You're telling the skeleton to move the geometry, and then you tell the geometry to stay in the same place, therefore they cancel each other out.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.