Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-08-2006 , 10:38 PM

Odd Maya "glitch"

I'm sure it's not actually a glitch, just some setting I don't understand yet. I imported a model I'd built in Lightwave via fbx into maya and it came through fine, looking something like this:
user added image

I started with the rigging process, saved and quit for the day. The next morning, I open the file up to find the poor guy looking like this:
user added image

I have no idea what's going on with him. His face only looks this way in Smooth Shade. I checked the hypergraph and his material settings still look ok. Is this some bizarre lighting problem? I don't have enough experience in Maya to know how to fix this. Any help would be much appreciated. user added image

# 2 16-08-2006 , 11:54 PM
Subscriber
edit poly>normals>set to face

then re soften normals.
if u want to del history on your mesh if its already rigged

u can delete all non-deformer history to get rid of the normals history.

# 3 17-08-2006 , 12:14 AM
I've found that Smoothing fixes the issue. Since I was planning on doing that after rigging him, I'll just keep him flat-shaded until then. Thanks a ton for the help.

# 4 17-08-2006 , 06:41 AM
Yea basically what happens is Maya's all screwed up with the normals sometimes. You need to reset them.

Maybe Autodesk will fix the bug, who knows?