Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 02-02-2008 , 09:53 AM
Overall that's the workflow as I will be doing many different poses of all the different characters.

Pose in maya
bake out the model
export the bits you need out as obj
import in Z3 with all the parts as subtools
sculpt
export a couple of different usable levels
bring it all back together in maya along with a normal map and maybe displacement map depending on your workflow

I can also export displacement maps and re-use them in zbrush so I could re-use some of the sculpting on another similar pose but to be honest I will prob just do each from scratch so I get more variety as creases look different each time you move anyway. Doesn't take long to do, it's quite fun actually.
Also there the Z project brush which you could use to copy the wrinkles across from different model and it's topology independent.

When I worked on Striker and The Premier I had to retouch creases in Photoshop everday on many different characters and also in Zbrush sometimes when there was time on a daily deadline, sometimes a whole football squad in many different shots so kinda used to it now.

Jay went through the same.

Gio

Gio

Creator of The Talos Project

# 62 02-02-2008 , 10:27 AM
arran: What's you project?

Gio

Gio

# 63 02-02-2008 , 11:36 AM
Hey Gio - big, big thank you for your explanation - that makes a lot of sense and is much appreciated.

i just started this project -

https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

i'm hoping the final piece will be a turnaround of the character in pose. i'm also planning to get him into zbrush, though i haven't used it much yet.

looking forward to seeing your project go live. user added image

# 64 02-02-2008 , 11:03 PM
No probs, glad to help.

Zbrush can be a little daunting at first but Z3 is the easiest version to get into, and once you've used it a couple of times it's a just fun after that.

The Talos Project will be up in April, will let everyone know as and when.

Gio

Gio

# 65 03-02-2008 , 04:46 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey G

Looks very cool lad. I do like that alot. I can smell the creases from here. Do you remember the sweatshop PS days doing creases, would you like to relive them? LOL I think not.

One more thing, I believe that the saying 'give it a tickle' is part of my mantra if Im not mistaken? :bandit:

Catch you soon dude
Jay

PS check the comment I left at the gorilla mans website...I think you need to add to it...

# 66 03-02-2008 , 05:01 AM
Cheers mate, nice to have a decent shirt model to sculpt rather than that poser s***.

I pleased with the way it's all turning out, just rendering at the mo, page 6 will be done tonight and then I need to build a girl...assets, always need more frickin' assets.

I'm afraid you never trademarked the phrase so it's still up for grabs.

went over to the panda man's site just now, wonder what he working on?

Cheers

Gio

Gio

# 67 03-02-2008 , 05:05 AM
ASSETS!!

Christ tell me about it. I just designed a load more characters this weekend, its going to take me a month of sundays to sort them out into 3d...

well panda man said he was working over at shoreditch but didnt specify, I thought it might be at cityscape studios...he wont say...probably stroker...

I have copyright on that phrase now

chin chin old boy

Jay

# 68 03-02-2008 , 10:24 PM
Well launching with 12 pages doesn't sound like much but it requires about 7 environments, 6 characters and 23 shots, oh and a website.

After launch there will be about two more to sort for the first chapter, but I need another 4 sets or so.

Then chapter 2...

It's all part of the challenge though isn't it, seeing how much you can do before you go blind!

When you getting another page up?

G

Gio

# 69 04-02-2008 , 03:04 AM
Yeah sure is, my eyes are like pies!!

Im hoping to get a few up at the end of this month.

Ive been tweaking a face rig on my main character for a couple of weeks and being tired from work hasnt helped either so behind a little. Id like this chapter finished for early march. The next chapters' set is done already, its very short so thats cool. After that its minimal for a while as its mattes only and a couple of objects, but all that will accomplished in be in the finishing itself, renders will be fast and furious for that. But juicy for sure. Then I have a huge model set to build for another matte...

Will mail you shortly
Jay

# 70 04-02-2008 , 03:25 AM
Most impressive. This is looking awesome.

# 71 04-02-2008 , 08:05 PM
Hey thanks a lot, haven't gotten an awesome for while, lol.

I hope everyone likes the final result of all this work.

Cheers

Gio

Gio

# 72 04-02-2008 , 08:47 PM
AWSOME!!!

Im going to ban that word...so cliched

LOL

# 73 04-02-2008 , 09:04 PM

AWESOME!!!

if you're gonna ban it, ban it with the correct spelling

AWESOME!!!

there that's the last one if Jay has his way, otherwise feel free to use awesome to describe my work if you wish, much appreciated. lol :attn:

G

Gio

# 74 04-02-2008 , 10:20 PM
Cool man, that's wonderful shirt details good Zbrush work.

Cheers!

user added image

# 75 04-02-2008 , 10:44 PM
Thanks lealar, it's my first 3D full shirt retouch, hopefully the rest should be better, learnt a few things doing it.

Pondering over whether to show some renders or just make you wait until the thing goes live, hmmm...

Just finished renders for 6th page. Will retouch later.
I'll be moving on to building my first female model shortly for a character that I need for page 7.

Many thanks

Gio

Gio