Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-11-2007 , 01:19 PM

cloth effect without ncloth

Hi I´m working on an animation project for my studies. Unfortunately we are not allowed to use the ncloth plugin for it.
I´try to make a short animation in which bart simpson performs a skateboard run. In the first scene bart simpson should start the skateboard run at the springfield elementary school. Unfortunately I didn´t manage to give the Flag a realistic shape.

Does anyone of you guys has an idea how I could fix this problem. I just have expierence for a few weeks with maya.

Thanks a lot

Tobsen

Here ist a render view of the scene

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 25-11-2007 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
You will need to make it a soft body, and look into soft body springs, unfortunately I am a little too swamped at mo to describe the whole process as can be quite long winded, but if you Google a search for soft bodies in maya, in fact there are probably plenty of tuts out telling you how to this way anyway, thats all I can recommend I'm afraid.

Chris

# 3 25-11-2007 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
don't know how to help you, but the stars on the flag should be the part towards the flag pole

# 4 25-11-2007 , 04:10 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hmm, if i were going to do something like this (and not being able to use the Ncloth:angery: ) i would probably model the flag in SubDs and use a wave deformer to animate it.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 26-11-2007 , 12:58 PM
Thank you guys.

I decide to combine the wave deformer with the soft body. And it works ....

@Rhetoric Camel: Shit I forgot to flip the UV´s.