Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 11-05-2009 , 06:49 PM

Room WIP

Hey guys, This started out as primarly a exercise to try to get my rendering up to snuff, and see how far i could do it on my own. This is what i have so far. I will be adding more objects i know its rather empty now

user added image

user added image

# 2 11-05-2009 , 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Not off to a bad start user added image. The light direction seems a bit off though plus the shadowing is really hard.

- Genny
# 3 11-05-2009 , 08:22 PM
thanksuser added image Yeah i havent touch shadows yet besides turning them on haha

# 4 12-05-2009 , 08:29 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
i hope the wind stays down where your room is, otherwise you"ll have a submarineroom if i look at the background image LOL

- get rid of sharp edges
- give the floor a dirtmap it's to clean(mess with a fractal on the specular color swatch that usually does the trick)
- floors usually don't have that large chunks of floorboards
-see the attachment for more info on the floor
- Shadows don't match the expectation of your background image so you will have to match the lightdirection to your image backplate

- when i do interiors i start out by off course making the global shape of the room and then place and scale cubes around the room to match a chair ,a book a tv, and place all off those objects in a layer which i call ref layer and then start modeling this way you know for the most part how much you have to make and the scale of it , this gives you a goal which makes your progress much quicker, now your probably thinking what to do next?

Attached Images
# 5 13-05-2009 , 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by mastone
..when i do interiors i start out by off course making the global shape of the room and then place and scale cubes around the room to match a chair ,a book a tv, and place all off those objects in a layer which i call ref layer and then start modeling this way you know for the most part how much you have to make and the scale of it...

Agreed. A nice addition to that is throwing a human reference in there, throw some cubes together and make yourself a stick ...err block man.

- Genny
# 6 14-05-2009 , 02:46 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is my first time really trying to get into rendering, so i expect it not to be near or close to perfect. Yeah I have a love hate thing with the background picture, i love the picture took it on vacation. But at the same time something doesnt seem right haha. I just love how the sun looks with that partly cloud cover

# 7 14-05-2009 , 02:46 PM
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is my first time really trying to get into rendering, so i expect it not to be near or close to perfect. Yeah I have a love hate thing with the background picture, i love the picture took it on vacation. But at the same time something doesnt seem right haha. I just love how the sun looks with that partly cloud cover