Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 25-05-2015 , 08:50 PM

Muscle/bone pointing not along the skeleton joint

Hey, as title states, I have that problem. It is not up axis problem, but something else.
I have skin attached and tried to disconnect it. Also tried "setting and assuming joint orientation angles".
Picture explains problem.

Also, does anyone knows advanced and good tutorial series for muscle creation ?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-05-2015 , 10:10 AM
I found solution to this.
Reason is joint orientation, they all have to be the same as I understood.

1 Easiest solution that could hopefully help, is to detach skin trough skin>detach skin(keep history to keep custom smooth skin binding) then select all the joints and Skeleton>orient joint. Apply smooth skin again to the root or hips or whatever was original bone you attached.

2 However if skeleton is with constraint output and input element etc, Maya will crash.
Solution to that is to disconnected all the connections to any skeleton joint. This can be done be deleting history from skeleton hierarchy and deleting rest nodes as bind skin through window> Hypergraph:hierarchy. Then if every single joint is clean without any connections, orient joint can be applied. Whats left is to reatach skin.

Creating capsules bones/muscles should work now.

# 3 05-06-2015 , 07:06 PM

Muscles won't mirror

Naming of both sides is correct (Left, Right...), but I cannot get muscles mirrored to other side using muscle creator. Nothing is happening when I press "Mirror muscle from selection". Mel field does not give anything too.
Does anybody knows what is the problem ?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 07-06-2015 , 04:09 PM
Probably there is no way to mirror "simple muscles". It is possible however to "duplicate special" but then all constrains and other stuff has to be readjusted and reconnected to different side manually.

Best advice is to duplicate muscle while creating it in "finalize" tab in "simple muscles". However, there might be more problems with this later on. If you want to create custom shape of muscles, it will be not possible to just "copy paste" these new stretch squash and normal muscle shapes to other side. I did not found solution to this yet.

It seems Maya muscle system is not finished in development.

# 5 19-10-2015 , 08:10 AM
I am having trouble with mirroring muscles with attach surface but I wanted to know if your ever found a solution to your problem.

when you click "mirror" and the dialog comes up you have to use "mus_left" so it knows to make "right".

Mirror muscle does work, but I am have a problem mirroring "attach surf". Do you know any solution for this? Thanks.

# 6 13-09-2016 , 10:07 AM
Hi
AVTPro - Not everything has to be extremely symmetrical so after creating attach surface you need to change the name smth like "cMuscleSurfAttach1" to "cMuscleSurfAttach1_L" and just do another simillar attach surf on the other side with the name of cMuscleSurfAttach1_R. Convert to Muscle will do the rest. if it was wrong sollution please correct me.