Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-02-2004 , 09:04 PM
Subscriber

how to build a computer?

Hey guys I've been wrestling over the idea of building my own computer or buying a completed one, I probably would build my own but I have no idea on where to start or go to purchase parts?

I'm going to be running a duel monitor setup w/maya 5 unlimited and all of the image editing software and compositing software, I'm going to be doing freelance work, also what is a really good operating system? I want to be able run and burn dvds and run internet and maybe a few games.

Also is there any good sites on how to put it all together and build it?

Thanks for the help guys

# 2 08-02-2004 , 09:06 PM
Go with windows XP probably. Games and software compatible were macs sometimes arent.

Just make sure you get LOTS of ram.

# 3 09-02-2004 , 03:52 AM
Subscriber
Ok, so how do I go abouts doing it, what is a good case to go with, I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. I have $5500 to spend so give it to me what should I get?

# 4 09-02-2004 , 04:45 AM
The best thing you can do is do some researching for yourself. Here are some links to help you on your way:

Tom's Hardware (Very current and precise with hardware reviews)

For purchasing, I can recommend both
Directron and Newegg based on personal experience. Directron make good pre-modded cases. Newegg has great prices on components.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 09-02-2004 , 05:21 AM
Subscriber
I'd put a link up for you but Kevin would kick my butt, so just go to ALIENWARE and check out the stuff there, you can build your own system and see how much it will cost ya.

# 6 09-02-2004 , 02:28 PM
He'd only kick your butt if it was a direct competitor with SM, tillery, which alienware is not as that's about hardware.

I will say this about alienware...they are a bit overpriced. I just looked at their custom machines for maya...the machine I built over a year ago was cheaper than their lower end "maya" box and mine has actually more bang for the buck. It's always better to buy components direct and build your own....fairly easy, too, as long as you take your time.

The most nerve-wracking thing for me was removing the thermal tape from the heatsink I bought and applying artic III. After everything was built, I just let it run for 24 hrs and kept an eye on the temperatures.

Maya student, you could always search google....there are tons of articles on building your own computer. Also, read the forums at whatever company you plan on buying your mobo from (if they have one)....I learned alot that way when choosing mine.

# 7 09-02-2004 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
Here's some of my tips:

(1) Choose your processor, vid card, hard disks first. Once you have those set in your mind, look for a motherboard and RAM combination that suits your budget.

(2) Make sure you supply your system with more than enough power. That is, if you need a 350W powersupply, make sure you buy at least 400W. Check out the Power Supply Wattage Calculator to get a good idea as to the size you'll need.

(3) RTFM

(4) If you are planning on getting fancy with your hard-disks (RAID) make sure you know that your MoBo can support it.

(5) RTFM

(6) Think cooling: buy as many fans that your system case can handle... make sure you have a good airflow in one direction: for example, all the fans at the front blowing in and all the fans at the back blowing out. Tie cables together and tuck them away so that they dont inhibit the flow of air.

(7) The bigger the system you build, the more components you will need ... be careful to keep all receipts and know the terms of the various warrantees. With a lot of components there is higher chance that one of them will fail.

(8) Take your time when building - dont get all excited and rush. If you spend a good amount of time ensuring that components are well handled and correctly installed you will be rewarded with a stable system.

(9) During the build, protect yourself from static electricity! This is so often said, and more often ignored ... DO NOT IGNORE THIS!

(10) RTFM! Especially for jumper/bios settings on your Motherboard.

Finally... here's a few pictures my PC that I built just after Christmas :bgreen:

Various pictures of my PC

It's a P4C 3.2, 2Gb RAM, GeForce-FX5700-256Mb (my Quadro card is being RMA'd), 2x120GB SATA disks in RAID0, IC7-Max3 Mobo, 2x17" IIYAMA monitors, 1xDVD, 1xDVD RW.

That'll do donkey... that'll do...

Last edited by rich; 09-02-2004 at 03:21 PM.
# 8 09-02-2004 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber
My advise would be to go as slowly as you can bear. I'm assuming this will be the first system you'll have scratch built yourself. Have a look at Russells thread on building a pc as there is alot of good advise in there.

As regards with what to buy, research research research. Plan out exactly what you want and why. Altho you have a very nice budget with $5500 it would be very easy to buy overprice or gimmicky parts.

My reccomendations for what there worth.
1/ Either good P4 Northwood as the newer P4 Prescott will let you get a nice price on the slightly older but still very good P4 Northwood.
OR
AMD64 FX, or dual Opteron system. The FX's will give you loads of power in a single chip, but we'd all love some dual processor power. Plus when Windows, i'm assuming your gona use windows, comes out as a final stable 64bit platform and hopefully soon after a 64bit Maya you'll have a further boost in performance for no additional financial outlay.
2/ Memory. Lots of it and make it snappy. High quality ram pay's for itself in terms of performance. So pay a bit more for Corsair or OcZ memory and you won't regret it.
3/ Hard drives. SATA RAID. SATA so its cheap, and raid so its oh so very fast. If you really want the best get a dedicated raid card as well so you can get some striping with parity checking. Speed and data protection all in.
4/ Graphics. If your serious get a pro level card. The benifits speak for themselves.
5/ Dual monitors. The extra workspace you get streamlines your work flow dramatically. Don't dismiss CRT monitors straight away. You can get some very good monitors at cheap prices now because of there fall from favour.
6/ Cooling. Whatever you buy its gona pump out a serious amount of heat. Don't scrimp on the cooling system. Look into all your options. Watercooling may seem total crazy but with a little bit of common sence you can get a very efficciant cooling rig. The comercail water systems have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years and its oh so quiet.

Well think that quiet enought from me just now, if I think of aything earth shatteringly important i'll post back user added image. And good luck with your rig.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk

Last edited by lonepig; 09-02-2004 at 08:36 PM.
# 9 09-02-2004 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
WOW! thanks guys, Yea I'm not rushing into it I'm taking my time and researching.

# 10 09-02-2004 , 10:55 PM
Subscriber
Well I went to alienware and I like them alot, I just had some questions, I was looking at the MJ-12 w/duel Intel xeon processors at 3.06 mhz

Can these PC's also run normal computer applications? AKA Games,Internet, word processing ETC Or are they strictly design oriented?

Also Can you put money down on the systems or not?

Thanks guys for all the help

# 11 10-02-2004 , 02:46 AM
Subscriber
Multi-processor systems can run any software that a normal single processor software. The benifit comes when the program is written to use 2+ processors, such as Maya. The MJ-12 dual xeon 3.06 is a very good rig, my personal choice would be the MJ12-4100 dual 246 with loads of extra goodies for less money, get a FX300 for if you want to splash the cash.

As for putting money down on a system I'm afraid I don't know, but I doubt it.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk
# 12 10-02-2004 , 03:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey guys, I did a custom of the MJ12 pc now the mother board is capable of holding 8Gigs of ram, but you can only purchase 3gigs when buying it with the computer, Would I be still able to upgrade to the 8 in the future if need be?

# 13 10-02-2004 , 05:05 AM
Seems a bit overkill, don't ya think?

# 14 10-02-2004 , 05:28 AM
Subscriber
What 8Gigs? I know it is overkill but I was just wondering if in the far off future if I would have to buy a new MOBO to upgrade ram.

# 15 10-02-2004 , 07:53 AM
Subscriber
It all depends on what size Dimms Alienware use. If they only use the largest size dimm then it should be possible, otherwise you'd have to replace some with bigger versions.

www.snipersupplies.co.uk