Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 18-04-2005 , 10:13 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude!!
Hey MX How are you, what you up to?

Yeah its been a while, Theres another character on its way after this one. Been doing some designs for it, so that should appear at the site soon with some more vehicle designs too. Although Im not sure whats going to get made vehicle wise right now, the forum is quiet but people drop by dont register, post, then never appear again!! Weird. So Ive locked the permissions now so people have to register!! So members only now!!:p

Take care
Talk soon
_J

# 47 18-04-2005 , 10:41 AM
Heya Jay,

Hehe, yeah it is good to set the permissions for your forums user added image I have been busy aswell. Myself and my good mate have opened up our own studio, so we have been working our butts off to get some clients in, and so far so good, we have a few clients and have a few TV ad's in the pipes, so it is definately an exciting time for us. At the moment we have a few clients that we are doing visualizations for, and I can say it is really fun aswell as rewarding to know that at the end of the day I am working for myself..hehe user added image, so yeah thats what I have been up to lately. But yeah good to chat to ya dude, keep well and keep up the awesome work Jay. user added image

Laters,
MX user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 48 18-04-2005 , 08:16 PM
Hey dudes

Model is done!! Its going to be put away for a bit before doing the uv and texturing and rig as Im moving on to the next character tomorrow night.

Im off now to finalise the design for him, I'll keep you posted!!

Regards to you all
_J

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 21-04-2005 , 02:13 AM

The seam??

Curious...does the seam in the center interfere with texturing?? I like the model, yet I don't know if that seam will interfere with texturing.

# 50 21-04-2005 , 07:29 AM
Ismail

Well seem as though you're a newbie I'll let you off here. Yes the seam would interfere with textures you're absolutley correct.

But one half of the model is instanced just for the modelling so I can adjust size, volume and symmetry etc while creating the character.

Once I move on to the texturing, that side will be deleted while I work on the original half of uvs before duplicating it back and merging all the verts and uvs. This way it saves huge amounts of time for the texturing process.

Although the model itself is complete it is still a work in progress, which is the reason it stays in this particular part of the forum too.

I can assure you that no seams will be present once completed entirely and the character will not be harmed in any wayuser added image

Cheers
_J

# 51 21-04-2005 , 08:34 PM

Great. :)

Great!!user added image Thanks, Jango for the insight. user added image

I see quite a few neat models in the WIP section with seams, so I thought it was okay to have seams in models, glad to get some clarification on the seam allowance. I had a feeling it, wasn't the final result. user added image

# 52 21-04-2005 , 09:04 PM
Ismail

No worries

_J

# 53 05-07-2005 , 09:07 PM
Hey Jango,

I´m sorry to fetch this thread here back again but maybe you can do me a favor. the head geometry you did here is very nice and clean. I can see the prominent lines floating around the face like a stream, and those lines make sense. but when I turn to my own head - it´s all gone! I can´t remember anything, that´s because I don´t understand the principles yet. the corner of the mouth is a real pain in the ass.

for me it´s hard cause I usually begin the geometry and have to put it into a floating shape after. that´s why my mesh looks ugly. I can imagine you beginning your geometry with a specific plan, that´s why your mesh looks clean.

I don´t know if you want to tell. but if, I would ask those questions in context to this head:

#1 Did you start with a box or is it kind of patchmodeling?

#2 How did you start with this head?

#3 Which way might someone start a headGeometry to get a clean mesh like this? (in maybe 30 minutes : )

If you don´t like to reiterate these things again and again you maybe have a pic from your head in a younger state..

regards
daniel

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 54 05-07-2005 , 09:11 PM
oh! just drop my question here. I found your -> Alien:BarTender

cool!!

# 55 05-07-2005 , 09:25 PM
Falott

PM me with your private email and I'll get back to you with some bits

_J

# 56 17-09-2005 , 09:46 PM
Hey Guys

Thought Id bring you up to date, especially for those who dont frequent my site. The characters Ive finished building are now being textured so heres a first peak at one of them.

enjoy

user added image

Regards
Jay

# 57 17-09-2005 , 09:58 PM
Subscriber
good start user added image
looking foward to it

# 58 18-09-2005 , 12:25 PM
Hey Vlad

Many thanks, will have another update later

Jay

# 59 19-09-2005 , 10:54 PM
Hey Jango ... er ... Jay!

Texture is looking very nice. Not a stretchmark on that noggin!

I'm on my way over to OUTLAWS to see what I can see ...

Dave

# 60 20-09-2005 , 07:27 AM
the skin is looking fantastic! very good unfolding job! ..but where is the seam...? and which channels from the shader have you been working on if I might ask?