Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-03-2005 , 08:17 AM
Subscriber

Maya 6 Bible

Im basiclly looking for a complete Maya 6 book, which covers all aspects of the program from modelling to rendering.

Is there any books out there that you can recomend?

Any help will be apreciated. user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 2 17-03-2005 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
That's pretty tall order given the scope of Maya user added image

From a conceptual basis, the Art of Maya 3rd edition is good. It's not a how-to book though. But it discusses just about everything in Maya and can at least point you the right direction and help you form informed questions.

The alias learning Maya series area ok, but individually they're expensive (although you can get a bundled discount) and being project based, they tend not be good reference books.

The Maya quickstart books is just the opposite, it makes a handy reference but since it covers so much of the program it is not in-depth in any area. Sort of a jack-of-all trades book. It doesn't cover the unlimited modules though.

Good luck on your quest and if you find such a book please let us all know.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 17-03-2005 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
Cheers for that, i'll give them a look. I would be interested in what all you others think.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 4 21-03-2005 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
Come on all you Maya lovers... surely I'm not the only one reading books on Maya. I'd like to see your opinions/suggestion of Maya books also. Still got room on my shelf for a few books. user added image

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 5 21-03-2005 , 05:46 PM
Subscriber
I did hear that 'Maya 6 Killer Tips' was a pretty cool book to have, but I would like to hear from someone who has it. user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 6 21-03-2005 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
(In my humble opinion) "The Complete Reference Maya 6" by Tom Meade and Shinsaku Arima, is an excellent all-round book.

Like Michael says the scope of Maya is huge so you are not going to find a cover-all book out there - unless it runs to twenty volumes!!!

best

Keith

# 7 22-03-2005 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
I too have Tom Meade's book and it's nice. It has answered a lot of my questions and tought me new tricks, better workflow and so on. I don't have too many Maya books but this is the best allround book I have.

I also got Maya 6 killer tips and I can highly recommend this one. My philosophy on books in general is that the thinner they are the more content they have and less fluff. This was certainly the case with this one. Every page has a handy or neat trick for ya. You've been using Maya for some time so I guess this book will be sweet.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 8 22-03-2005 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
Yer I think im probably going to get Maya 6 Killer Tips, it was recomended at college. I have been doing Maya long enought to say that I know the program so now I could do with knowing some little tips that will help improve my work.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 9 23-03-2005 , 07:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Tim

I absolutely recommend any Maya book by John Kundert-Gibbs that you can get your hands on. Although I dont think hes done a Maya 6 book with 'everything in' but the one hes done with 'everything in' is called Maya 5 Savvy. It used to be called Maya Complete if you'll pardon the pun. As I have the version for Maya 3 (bought after I got started) it opens your eyes a bit more and goes thru the different aspects of Maya, modelling, mel ,animation etc. Check it out anyway.

I had a look for V6 of it on amazon by him but there doesnt appear to be one.

Or I recommend Maya character Animation by Jae Jin Choi, it covers a fair deal in there as well as the title itself.

Cheers Jango

# 10 24-03-2005 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
A book I'd recommend is 'The animators survival kit' ...I know that this isn't about maya, but if your interested in animation, this book is awesome.

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 11 30-03-2005 , 05:15 PM
i live in india and over here, we dont have much access to too many books. but out of the one that are available here, i like Inside Maya 5 (i know its not Maya 6 but, that's what's available here). it has got some good stuff. though it doesn't cover everything. i don't think any book would.
i found a good book on the net. its on character modeling and animation by a guy called Jae Jin Choi. seemed to be good. i don't have it. not available here. user added image