Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-05-2006 , 05:26 AM

stupid screw driver tut

yeh hey the modelling of that tutorial is all good yeh i learnt alot from it like using boleens good user added image
makes making stuff 10 x easier

but all the texturing part is GHEY it is all wrong wtf it says to go do the dgs thingy and not there and that other one starts with D not there O.o
and hte see thru thingy

and hte lighting is all weird any help ?

on how to get the same effect

# 2 15-05-2006 , 08:29 AM
Have you got mental Ray switched on??

If you have it is there just look in the "Create menu" in the hypershade.

Plus have you got a HDR image, to provide the lighting?

P.S - Theres nothing wrong with that tutorial just take your time with it and don't get so wound up.

# 3 15-05-2006 , 10:55 AM
ok thanks but Now PLZ PLZ explain WTF those thigns are
HDR image, WTF IS DAT O>O ?

and i dunno what the hell mental ray is i'd sure appreciate for help

# 4 15-05-2006 , 12:51 PM
Its okay man, calm down. There are quite a few things that need to happen in order to get the cool caustics and reflections that the tutorials has to offer.

First you need to download (or make) an .hdr file. This will be what is reflected in the scene. That tutorials has a place to DL a nice group of files. (Here is the .hdr DL link)

Second you need to make the reflective materials assigned to a dgs_material. Then turn turn the dgs_material attributes, diffuse to fairly low (not 0) and glossy to 0, and specular to max.

Third is create a plane for the ground and some lighting, an ambient and a point light with 0 intensity, but able to cast shadows normally does the trick.

All right now the big part...the renderings...

Go into Render Settings, name the file and adjust the image size output. Then in the settings pull down to mental ray, and click on the mental ray tab. In there change the Min and Max sample to 1 and 3 respectively. Turn on ray tracing shadows and make them however high you want them. MAKE SURE to turn on Final Gather and adjust it to 500 gather rays. (You can also turn on Global Illumination too, and for yours you will need to enable Caustics).

Then here is the .hdr part...click on the Image Based Lighting, and click create. Then load a .hdr file of your choice. You can adjust the spherical versus angular options for your desired tastes.

Then render current scene.

From there you can do all sorts of things, adjust how reflective everything is, change what is reflected, adjust shadow intensities, etc.

Just take it slow and make sure all of these things have been done and you will come up with cool images like mine.

https://forum.simplymaya.com/attachme...&postid=196527

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=21519

And PS...Try this tutorial, its easy and a great walk through of what I just told you

Last edited by esion; 15-05-2006 at 12:54 PM.