Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 13-06-2006 , 07:51 AM

[question] break apart objects

how can you randomly break objects apart? like a cup shattering into pieces. i remember doing it once a while ago, but i don't know what the command is called. anyone know it?

# 2 16-06-2006 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
if I remember it right there is a default shatter effect somewhere under dynamics>effects

# 3 22-06-2006 , 07:13 PM
To get the breaking effect yoiu are talking about you need to go to the dynamics menu then effects> shatter effects> menu ( the little square icon to the right of the shatter effects) From there you can select from 3 shatter options surface, solid, or crack. For a glass you would use surface shatter. From the surface shatter menu you can select the number of pieces you want your object to break into the jaggedness of the edges, the thickness of the pieces.ect ect.

Hope this helps.

# 4 22-06-2006 , 07:32 PM
To get the breaking effect yoiu are talking about you need to go to the dynamics menu then effects> shatter effects> menu ( the little square icon to the right of the shatter effects) From there you can select from 3 shatter options surface, solid, or crack. For a glass you would use surface shatter. From the surface shatter menu you can select the number of pieces you want your object to break into the jaggedness of the edges, the thickness of the pieces.ect ect.

Hope this helps.

# 5 22-06-2006 , 07:42 PM
Think that I would use the "solid shatter" so that the fragments get the 3d look.

Theres also a program called Blast code that I think you can get a free trial of (not sure that though) you should find it if you do a google for it.

# 6 22-06-2006 , 09:49 PM
Guess it would depend on the type of glass you are trying to break apart if it is a drinking glass or a beer bottle or such I would use a surface shatter with a thickness. if you are trying to break up a solid chunk of glass like a sculpture or somthing then solid shatter would definitly be a better choice i think.