Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 01-06-2007 , 01:14 PM
Ok, I did the top of all te keys. So now's just those strange symbols that I need to create by hand, oooh the humanity!

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 01-06-2007 , 01:34 PM
Jr.Who
Wow, that looks really good. It would be better if you could do an anti-aliased render though.
user added image

# 18 01-06-2007 , 01:44 PM
wow - you've pulled it out again DJbLAZER - this model is looking really cool! i think you might have to do the whole set up - a C64 hard drive and an eighties monitor... and lots of wires! great choice of model.
user added image

One thing - you mentioned going through fonts in word - is that the best way to find a font? I'm looking for a certain font at the moment - is there no way to look at an entire font in photoshop as sometimes it comes down to finding a certain letter?....

sorry for the dumb question! thanks

# 19 01-06-2007 , 02:42 PM
Jr.Who, yeah it probably would look better, since that's no render at all, just a screen shot =)

thanks arran, actually I modelled the front of my old Commodore 1084S monitor for a project some year ago. I just needed a front render, though I could only find a very few image references so I couldn't model the sides and back even if I wanted to.

To look through fonts I think using MS Word is the best way. You type the letters you want to look at in a document (could be the whole alphabet if you want). Then you select the text and go to the font selector. Then you would just use the arrow keys to go through the fonts. Very quick and easy.

# 20 01-06-2007 , 02:52 PM
Looking really good man! great job.

It was only about 6 months ago that I threw my C64 away, it was stored in the loft for years, games and all, and I was getting rid of stuff before moving, I tried it out but it didnt work, shame.

I rember programming on it, I think if memory serves me correctly that those strange symbols were something to do with characters needed to programme (I remember making an adventure game from a book that I got from the library, copying all the code, took me weeks to do it and then there was loads of bugs, I was only about 8/9 at the time!)

When we going to see a full Maxwell jobbie on it?

I reckon a bit of fun would to have this in your living room scene, attached to your plasma!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 21 01-06-2007 , 03:04 PM
I've used this one in the past. You upload an image of the font in question and it checks what fonts are like the one in question. Might be an idea to see if it comes up with the right one user added image
https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 22 01-06-2007 , 03:11 PM

Originally posted by t1ck135
I've used this one in the past. You upload an image of the font in question and it checks what fonts are like the one in question. Might be an idea to see if it comes up with the right one user added image
https://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Si

Superb link Si, Bookmarked!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 23 01-06-2007 , 03:18 PM
yeah - thanks a lot t1ck! user added image

# 24 01-06-2007 , 03:34 PM
gster123: Hehe, I also did my first programming in basic on the C64 when I was about 12. I remember that it was a program in the manual that showed an air ballon with a Commodore logo on it.

Yeah would be nice to hook it up on the plasma... although I don't own one... but I should try play some games with an emulator on the plasma user added image

t1ck135: Thanks for the tip! Although I don't have any good images on the font it actually found some pretty close ones. But my choice is so close to the original as you can get (and I'm NOT doing it all over again anyway =)

# 25 01-06-2007 , 04:07 PM
Ok, all keys textured and also the side. So now it's just the logo and power that need to be done. And they're not totally flat so I'll model those.

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 02-06-2007 , 05:54 AM
Ok, I'm done with the texturing. So now I'm gonna create materials and tweak a nice render in Maxwell. Here's a quick render in Mental Ray:

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 02-06-2007 , 10:04 AM
Here's a first render from Maxwell. I somehow lost "power"-logo (should be in the right upper corner). And maybe the base should be a litte more brownish. The chrome material doesn't show that well, I'll have to change the lightsources so they get reflected better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 02-06-2007 , 10:16 AM
Jr.Who
Wow, that looks really good! How long did it take to render?
user added image

# 29 02-06-2007 , 10:31 AM
Thanks, about 2 hours. Originally in 800x600 though.

# 30 03-06-2007 , 12:55 AM
Last things mentioned fixed. I'll do some dirt and scratches and then I think I'm done.

Attached Thumbnails