Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 24-06-2007 , 04:36 AM

Projecting an Image onto an Object

I'm looking for a tutorial or something on this and Maya help isn't helping 'cause I'm not sure what to look for.

Here's the deal:

I have an object that I've already applied a bump map of a metal texture from a PSD.

On top of the metal texture, I would like to project an image, like a decal or label.

Any good tutorials or ideas?

# 2 24-06-2007 , 05:28 AM
Either use a layered shader with some transprancy maps or use the projection texture if you hit F1 it will help you out a lot

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 24-06-2007 , 05:53 AM
Thanks. I just went through what I could find in Help regarding UV texture mapping, projection texture, etc.

I'm still having trouble finding what I'm looking for though.

I have already applied a texture (PSD) to the object in question. I want to add a label/decal type image over the top of it.

I'm not finding what I'm looking for with Maya Help. Where should I look?

# 4 24-06-2007 , 05:55 AM
as I said, have a look into the layered shader or a projection, have a play on a simple object like a poly plane to get the workflow.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle