Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-09-2010 , 05:07 PM
Subscriber

Suggestions needed for portfolio - monday deadline

People, I have a problem.

I have been looking to get into jobhunting mode of late, and this began in earnest last week when I applied for the position of cgi artists assistant at a place near me in essex. After some rush rewrite on my cv, about 2 hours editing my cover letter, and rearranging my portfolio, I sent off the application.

I was thrilled, relieved, happy, and excited, when on wednesday I got a phone call from the recruitment company saying that they really liked my stuff, and were forwarding my application to the company. He asked if I had any other work I could take to an interview, and though I said the best of what I had was in my portfolio, I had a couple of other bits and some pencil portraits. He said there main goal was someone with artistic flair and he thought I fitted the bill.

So far, fingers crossed. Today, however, I got a call from the guy saying the company was keen to see more, but something along the lines of a car/vehicle, or some more technical sculpture. If I could put together something great over the weekend?

The line from the company was that my profile was more that of a 'keen hobbyist rather than a desired cgi artist' . I completely understand this, but I have two days now to try and produce some work that can make them think otherwise. Does anyone have any suggestions? Technical sculpture? Im thinking mobile phone, boat, helicopter? Something photoreal? Should I make 1 big thing or try and do two or three smaller projects? Im working all weekend so considering just not sleeping to do this work. What would an employer want to see?

Ben

# 2 10-09-2010 , 06:40 PM
Lifetime Member
Really pleased for you mate! Sounds like they're asking a lot for an 'assistant' position though??? I still think it worthwhile to take your pencil sketches along, as it shows artistic ability and the ability to see and record what you see!

Anyway, to make things easier have you thought about doing something architectural but still sculptural? If you need to do a smaller object I'd aim for something you know you'll be able to complete in two days...I don't know if a car is achievable but remember you don't have to model what you won't see! user added image What about a racing bike or a scooter (Vespa?) ?

Anyway, good luck with whatever you do!

J

# 3 10-09-2010 , 07:19 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
Im with half loaf the quickest thing you can do in two days is archviz stuff

# 4 10-09-2010 , 07:21 PM
The thin red line
Hi Ben
Good to here your news, do some thing that you know well, I go fishing for pleasure and to model a fishing reel would be easy for me because I understand how it works..........hope that helps dave

# 5 10-09-2010 , 09:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
One idea would be to make something up, (i.e. not a real vehicle or object) a concept phone or ship or something. That way you could include only as much detail as you have time for and they won't be comparing it to the real thing. On the other hand, sometimes creating a convincing concept is hard and time consuming.

If your interview is on monday, I would highly recommend getting some sleep over the weekend. I'm sure the interview would go worse if you have a great portfolio but aren't able to function or communicate :p

Anyway, congrats on your progress and good luck with the rest of it!

# 6 11-09-2010 , 02:23 AM
Lifetime Member
Well done Ben!! I agree with the guys...get some sleep and I would suggest (no joke)..a calm walk in the morning in a good environment for half an hour. This will clear your head and maybe you will see something you can model very quickly.

Me personally...I would go for a house or similar...its something you can do very quickly. Or something like one of my instruments...very quick..easy but technical in a way.

Good luck whichever way the tide takes you my friend...I envy you.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 11-09-2010 , 04:28 AM
Subscriber
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have no interview, apparently this place puts applicants under 3 categories, accepted, rejected, or reserved, as in not quite there but we wont shut the door on them.

I wouldnt envy me ant, I feel like ive dug a bit of a hole for myself. To be fair to myself I had no way of knowing when I applied what kind of work this place did. Now knowing who it is, I think im out of my depth, looking at their stuff, its out of my league. Perhaps I should pick more carefully where to apply in future, or perhaps I am just a hobbyist. I guess theres a reason ive always leant towards the game art side of cg. I dont know whether to hold my hands up to this guy and say thanks for the feedback, but its not for me, and use it to help make some decisions about what I actually want. Or will I regret that. Damn I feel stuck.

# 8 11-09-2010 , 04:40 AM
EduSciVis-er
Hey man, I wouldn't pull the plug on this yourself. If you do the best you can, and they feel you're not quite suited for the work they're doing, well that's all you can do. However, if they do offer you a job, it means they think you have what it takes based on what they see.
The way I see it (and I might be missing something) you're not losing anything by going for this, besides maybe a bit of "wasted" effort and some pride, however if you do back out, who knows, you might have been doing better than you figured.

At the end of the day it's their call whether you're "in over your depth" and even if you are, they're not going to phone everyone else and say "don't hire this guy". They obviously have liked the work you've done. Does that make any sense?

Of course, on the other hand, if you don't want to do the kind of work they do, give it a try (if offered the chance) and make sure you don't like it, then you can always try for something else.

# 9 11-09-2010 , 04:50 AM
Lifetime Member
Well I do envy you mate!!! you have a chance to do what you want to do in life....like a lot of people on here. Me...I have the artist within..but I chose construction when I was young...had to...bills needed to be paid.

I have never had the oppurtunity to go to school/college/work in this industry...and never will. I have just finished 5 hours of walking through swampy paddock to map a terrain...nearly snapped my ankle 10 times etc etc. So yeh mate I do envy you...

A little advice from an old warhorse mate....always do a little research on the company, its goals and direction and of course its business nature (ie what it does). You dont have to do a Sherlock Holmes but a little knowledge will go well in an interview.

Personally Im not one for Diploma's/certificates etc...no disrespect to the people who work hard to earn them..to me they mean nothing. Its whats between your ears (yes you Ben) and what YOU can do that is important to me as an employer. Trust me when I say I have interviewed hunreds of people mate...and its not neccessarily the Dux of the school that wins. Its the person with confidence, knowledge of the tasks and above all...enthusiam.

As the other guys pointed out...its an ASSISTANT to an artist...so this is in effect an apprentice situation. Give the employer what you have...they will judge whether or not you are suitable. BE HONEST and go with the flow.

As you said..3 directions..accepted = good, learning time. Rejected = feedback and more study. Reserved = feedback, more study and choices for you. In all NONE of them should be negative Ben...take any 3 by the horns and ride like a demon with a hard on. Life gives you oppurtunities...dont knock them back because you are afraid. I did and now Im just a Surveyor...my time is gone..yours isnt.

Now I have vented....good luck mate...Ant

LOL stwert good advice...are we psychically connected lately??? every time Im typing so are you LOL user added image

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 11-09-2010 at 04:52 AM.
# 10 12-09-2010 , 02:32 PM
Subscriber
Cheers again guys, theres some good advice in there which makes sense.

In the job securing portfolio I was given the link to, there was walk, talk and run cycle animation, some examples of compositing, match moving, and some product viz animations of a camera and a phone. So I have gone for making my phone. Im about a third of the way through modelling. The aim is to get a good, solid, technical model, and then give some nice reflective lighting and material makeover. My phone is a sony cyber shot phone, with a screen that slides up and a sliding camera shutter on the back. If I have time and if I am able I might try and animate a pan around camera with the moving bits of the phone sliding open. Hopefully I can then send that and the animated matte painting camera move I did back in spring...

# 11 12-09-2010 , 08:34 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sounds great, good luck!

# 12 12-09-2010 , 09:08 PM
Lifetime Member
Sounds good....good luck mate!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 13 12-09-2010 , 10:09 PM
The Nurb Herd
nice one, i would have suggested a phone too.
a camera move around the phone may turn out less exiting than if you moved the phone around with a static camera. you can have it rotate fast or slow and have it rotate in a bunch of different axis. it might make it seem more interesting than a straight turntable.

btw, what is the company? what kind of work do they do?

# 14 13-09-2010 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
Hadnt thought of it like that hammer. Cheers. At the rate im going I should be looking to animate on thursday. Hoping youd chip in, ex art grad turned cgi artist n all.

Forgive me for feeling tentative about posting the name of the place. I fear someone with more experience and expertise may read this and attempt to 'pull the rug from under my feet'. They are an advertising agency though.

# 15 13-09-2010 , 12:22 PM
Subscriber
Almost done modelling now. Got a couple of seam issues here and there to fix and the camera lens and shutter on the back, a couple of buttons etc, but another day should see the modelling done.

Attached Thumbnails