Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-05-2003 , 04:59 PM

Islands/Ocean

Hey all, I'm new here and I'm not sure if this has been asked before... but doesn't hurt trying....

I am trying to create a shot where the camera flies over an ocean with some islands. I am using a polygonal plane with a sea shader as the ocean, stretched out to the max. The problem I am having is that I want to create islands, but if I use Artisan to mold and paint some polygonal islands, the points at which the island object touches the sea plane is kind of rough, and the island doesn't blend in at all with the ocean. I was also wondering if it were possible to create an "infinite" plane so that the ocean could extend out to the horizon line , and also create a sky that would move along with the camera. I really need help and would greately appreciate ANYTHING at all. Thanks!

# 2 13-05-2003 , 02:52 AM
For the Island I would us 2 planes 1 for the water and 1 for the islands. Make the islands then make a plan that intersects the parts of the islands you want above the water. Instead of trying a infinite plane try making a dome and adding a eviroment sky to it, that should help with your horizon line a lot. If that still not what you are looking for you can also add a bit of depth of field to your camera settings.

Hope that helps....

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 3 13-05-2003 , 03:08 AM
I got your PM, and I am bumping this post so others will see it,and hopefully resonduser added image

I'll add my tips in an hour or so, ...gotta go get some ice cream for the g/f user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 13-05-2003 , 03:14 AM
Rage..... I want some ice cream.. how about oreo, or butterscotch...

elfboy rage is awsome he help you out a lot=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 13-05-2003 , 04:55 AM
Ah, Kurt, you flatter me:love: hehe...

For the "infinite plane" Kurt said it right.
Try making a dome and adding a eviroment sky to it.
Here is the Maya docs link to how to use the Env Sky node under RENDERING:
C:\Program Files\AliasWavefront\Maya4.5\docs\en_US\html\UserG uide\Rendering\EnvirTextures12.html

For your islands issue, could you render out a pic so we can see the "roughness"?

One way to kill the roughness would be to add a planar projection to your island geometry, map it with a ramp in the transparency slot, and just fade it out at the edges so it "blends" better with your sea plane.

Hope Kurt and I have helped you a bituser added image

PS: Here is a pic of what I mean about the island transparency:

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 6 13-05-2003 , 04:57 AM
REMEMBER to RAYTRACE your lights for best results if you use the transparency trick!

...almost forgot thatuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 13-05-2003 , 06:19 PM
Thank you so much for all your answers - rage, i have to yet render out the scene. But I have a few more questions that still kind of elude me... I'm curious as to how big an ocean plane has to be in order to merge in with the horizon line or just in general. I've also wondered why there aren't any Maya tutorials out there on creating an island and an ocean... I've heard of one in some book but that wasn't comprehensive. Oh well, thank you all!

- elfboy
# 8 13-05-2003 , 07:09 PM
No problem!

..and maybe after you complete your shot, you could possibly post a small tutorial about how you did your island?
Or at least some tipsuser added image

..just a thoughtuser added image

Thanks again!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 14-05-2003 , 03:52 AM
I guess I'll post a shot of what it currently looks like - rage, i'm still much of a beginner and I'm not exactly sure how to go about doing those steps, though in theory they sound just right. Could you flesh it out perhaps?

user added image

Also - I can't fool myself anymore - the island texture isn't gonna fly and the same with the mountain model. I can't believe I still have questions, but any suggestions on creating good islands with textures? I also noticed that the lighting is far freakin' off - gosh I am soooooo lost!!!! Much indebted to all of you, 'specially rage user added image user added image.

# 10 14-05-2003 , 04:04 AM
Well, Kurt gave you the answer, so I can't take all of the creduser added image

About the opacity map to feather the edges, it looks like you know how to do that, but make the ramp setting radial or circular (can't remember which) instead of the default linear.

That way it is more roundish, like a "typical" island.

Also make sure the transparency map is a "projection" in the Y axis, so it is aiming down over top of the island geometry.

On the topic of texturing, that's my shortfall as well, so I would suggest checking out any of our UV texturing video tutorials, as well as the docs to give you a better handle on making most any texture work with your island geometry.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 14-05-2003 , 04:13 AM
I'm still in the works with it but I did hear somewhere about making the ocean plane a rigid body and the islands a solid body or a soft body or hm... anything with dynamics perhaps could solve this? Just curious.

- elfboy
# 12 14-05-2003 , 05:21 AM
Well, for your situation, unless you are going to have any interaction between the island and the water, that would be wasting your timeuser added image

Doing what you are already doing for simple placement and blending of the edges, should be fine once you figure out your texturing issues.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com