Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-07-2003 , 11:16 PM
Subscriber

Toy Plane

first render and model in maya (simple.. but still a model)
got about this like 30 minutes, it's for a shirt film me and a friend are planning, so far its all sub-d ,the plan here is to add him human charactistics ,eyes and mouth.. a la pixar.

so any replies will be great user added image esspically any ideas for the color scheme.. thanks user added image

user added image

user added image

also ,sorry for the jpg compression i did it throw fcheck..
it really took down the quality user added image

thanks user added image

# 2 10-07-2003 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber
btw its a replica of a toy plane i have in my room since i was like 6 user added image onlly changed thing is the wing ,as in my room its like 2 story wings connected with cylnders ,but we thought to make the wings move hands like ,and the 2 wings would reallly limit us so we altred that user added image

if i allrdy posted something related planes ,
this plane i modeled before i began using maya (this week) but i plan on texturing ,render and perhaps animate in maya user added image so replies would be awesome!

user added image

user added image

Last edited by Wiz; 10-07-2003 at 11:24 PM.
# 3 10-07-2003 , 11:26 PM
I love it!
On a side note: It really makes me feel like crap when I see all these peoples first work and then I look at my first work....which is terribleuser added image

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 4 10-07-2003 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
=\
iv'e been doing 3d for an year now.. so it doesnt really count user added image
former xsi user user added image and Thanks!

my real work was a sphere ,like everyone's user added image

# 5 10-07-2003 , 11:28 PM
Simply Maya OG
Oooooo....an F-15. My favorite plane user added image Now that I look at it, its an SU. Didnt we steal that from the Germans? Same as an 15, just....german, isnt it? But anyways, looks awsome.

- Hybrid
# 6 10-07-2003 , 11:28 PM
haha *phew* then i'm a bit relieved user added image

# 7 10-07-2003 , 11:29 PM
btw, how do you like the switch from XSI to Maya? better? worst? how so?

# 8 10-07-2003 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber
hmm honsetly ,the polygon tools are simply better in XSI ,some really some thing but big effect..

what i really need is to be able to set hot keys to Mjpolytools ,that will make thing alot faster user added image

other then modeling ,i love the rigging ,animation ,paintFx, the hyper shader is nearly family for the render tree in xsi.. they are alot a like, and rendering ,with GI Joe i love it user added image and MR is same in both hehe.. the UI are both great in both apps..

all in all ,i cant say maya kicks xsi or other way around ,both are plenty good ,i started maya as a -must- for a project with a friend (the animation of the toy-plane.. ) but now i am pretty pleased..

i think the major plus i would give maya is whole rigging and animation ,and XSI i would say the whole poly world user added image

and yea its a su user added image but its russian not german user added image
and yea it does look a lot like the eagle user added image only the eagle has his "air takers" in the front like there stuck ,while the su has it from under the wing.. imo the su looks cooler user added image

but tomcat rules as everyone knows user added image best aeroplane ever!
thanks.

# 9 11-07-2003 , 12:57 PM
Subscriber
kewl jet, I have one just like it. too bad it broke though. rockets and wheels fell of it.

<a href="https://www.d2lodshop.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">D2lodshop</a>
<a href="https://www.gatcity.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">GAT City</a>
<a href="https://www.rhymbox.com" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="blank">XMPP instant messaging</a>
# 10 11-07-2003 , 01:01 PM
Subscriber
thanks ,but any replies for the toy plane?
the jet is just on a side note user added image

# 11 11-07-2003 , 01:16 PM
the toy plane has a good look to it, and the render is excellent.

I think you need a little more detail in the wheels, and also maybe think about how those pieces of plastic are joined together, I know it's a toy but they have to be help together somehow.

I'm a little jaded about toy planes after my last animation... lol user added image

ALan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 12 11-07-2003 , 01:21 PM
Subscriber
thanks about the eyes they are purely black cylinders in my plane..
about the connection ,everyone is actually glued ,do u think its a good idea of i show a bit smirks of glue? i am not sure.. the only part which is connected diffrent is the bottom wheels set ,which are screwed ,, will add the screw user added image

thanks alot!

# 13 11-07-2003 , 01:39 PM
Hey Wiz. I really like your modeling. Got any more examples? Toy Plane looks nice! Could you show just a little more detail on the toy plane? It might be ok, but it will look alot better with Textures, and maybe if you made the Plane have a few nicks and stuff, not in perfect shape. Nothing huege, maybe a really small dent here and there (especially if it is made out of wood) I like how most of the edges are soft (sub d's I guess?) but the Landing gear still has hard edges. Also, how is the put together? glue, nails? Something else to consider. If the wing in the back goes on a part of the body that is cut out, you may actually want to have the body cut out around the wing, because right now they are flush against each other, but there would still be a small space between the two. Hope that makes sense user added image Just a few suggestions. Nice work!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 14 11-07-2003 , 01:46 PM
Subscriber
thanks alot brian user added image
your works are amazing user added image about the landing gear ,right i think it does chanage the style a bit ,ill chanage that user added image
where the back fins are at there is a cut out of the body ,but its not very visible.. its not just stuck there..
and yes ,there will be some wood paterns ,as we dont want it too be fully woody only slight.. can't really explain user added image

and its glue ,yep.. any ideas what i can do with that?
about the back fins ,ill take them a bit up on z axis so the gap is a little more noticeable user added image

thanks alot! for more of my works :
My Website
thanks user added image
btw i sent you an email few days ago.. : 0

Last edited by Wiz; 11-07-2003 at 01:48 PM.