Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-01-2004 , 01:07 AM

Maya 5: Instances> making them unique?

Is there a "make unique" function for instanced objects?

I've instanced a bunch of pillars and now I want to make a few of them unique from the others.

I've found that duplicating an instanced object (with instance unchecked) is a way to accomplish this, but I was thinking there should be a better way.

Thanks
-r.

# 2 03-01-2004 , 01:57 AM
Duplicating is the only way to do it. If you don't want to duplicate and delete by hand, you can download the Bonus Tools from Alias' website. There's a menu item in the Modeling section that will do this for you.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 03-01-2004 , 05:35 PM
Thanks, I got the script. I'm actually using Maya 5.0 PLE. It appears as if the script editor is partially disabled for this version, or I am doing something wrong? It sources the script and it executes it, but nothing happens to the selected object.
-R.

# 4 03-01-2004 , 08:39 PM
Did you select the object to verify that it no longer has any inputs? If sourcing and executing don't work, then you could simply open the script in the script editor (or copy and paste it) and make a new shelf button with just the commands inside the script. All the script does is duplicates the selected object without inputs, deletes the old object, and then renames the new object with the old object's name. It happens very fast, so it might seem nothing happened.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job