Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-09-2007 , 08:28 AM

Mental Ray in MEL

Hi, i want, if possible, to user the Math functions of Mental Ray into my scripts MEL. how to call, for example, the function: void mi_vector_neg( miVector *r). please, help me!!

# 2 06-09-2007 , 01:49 AM
I don't think you can do that. Maybe with python... not sure.

But for basic vector math you can just use operators (+, -, *, /, etc). There are also special commands for things like dot and cross product. Check the docs under Commands -> By Category -> Language -> Maths...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 06-09-2007 , 05:39 AM
the mi_vector_neg function is just a example, the functions than need are more complex how resolutions of linear systems , rotations matrix, ...

# 4 07-09-2007 , 01:43 AM
I'm pretty sure you cannot do that kind of stuff (directly) without plugins. Of course you could script it by programming the maths manually using lower level commands, but it probably wouldn't be efficient enough.

At work we have a MEL extension library (a set of new mel commands) which is written for things like this (and much more). If you're up to it, maybe start looking into the Maya API and learn how to create custom MEL commands? It's not too hard once you get into it. The maya API itself already contains the most common vector / matrix etc stuff.

Edit: I'm not too familiar with python but as Maya now has python bindings to the API, you could go that route too...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 07-09-2007 , 02:44 AM
Subscriber
yup. python has a robust math lib