Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 16-12-2010 , 02:37 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Hallo hallo, my name is Grant. I live in Crystal Lake, Illinois, 22 years old....ready to get out of here for sure. I have been working in Maya on and off for about 2 years...all together about a year. I am on here a lot even though I dont post very often, I just like to see what everyone else is doing for the most part. Lovin the new site by the way.

# 17 16-12-2010 , 07:50 AM
Hi,

I am from Hong Kong originally, now living in Brisbane Australia. Love my Mangas and traditional 2-D cel animation, while studying I had a 3 month unit/component on 3-D and thats when I joined this site. Did next to nothing with Maya for 2 years and only rediscovered it a few months back, now it consumes ALL my spare time. Learning lots from the friendly people here, ask lots of questions and David Nilla and others havent told me to bugger off yet. user added image

I have what I reckon is a terrific story concept, just not sure what I'm supposed to do with it now. Before I studied 2-d Animation I believed I could single handedly animate this three part epic 'Masterpiece' myself.. (Had started making it a Graphic Novel) I'm also a member of several writers forums- I'm even less gifted at writing so it probably won't be a finished screenplay anytime soon either. I realise I'm pretty delusional but I'm going to continue writing it as A Novel/A manga/A screenplay and at the same time I'm using Maya to build sets which I am drawing my chars into- hoping to have a rough but finished Animatic within the next 3 years... I'm none to optimistic at the moment but I'm enjoying myself immensely and who knows...

I havent 'Mastered' Poly modelling by any stretch, but am at the stage where I feel I can model pretty much everything I need to. -sigh- ONLY got texturing rigging animating lighting rendering and a half dozen other steps to come to grips with. user added image

# 18 16-12-2010 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
Im Neil Roberts - 32 and feeling it - I from Wales , but now live in Kent UK - Got a BA in 3D Animation - done some freelance stuff and worked on one CG film that will now never see the light of day - currently working slowly on my short film "Haz-MAtt".

I came here because of a script someone wrote for my uni mate and he told me how useful this site was. When I came was greeted by the friend-est group of Maya user I have found over the net. I also like the little comps they run here - when they run.

Welcome and enjoy

# 19 16-12-2010 , 12:41 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
My Name's Steven aka Mayaniac. I'm 21 years old, I was born in Derby but have lived in several places around the country. When I was 14 I moved to America for 7 years before moving back to Derby, where I currently reside.

I first started messing with CGI when I was 14 with Photoshop, gradually worked my way up to 3D modeling apps, starting with the likes of Milkshape, AC3D, Blender, and Maya, though ever since my parents brought me a Wacom for my 18th birthday, I spend most of my time in ZBrush. user added image

I first found this site through Google back in 2007, and have been an off and on regular ever since.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 20 16-12-2010 , 05:57 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

My Name's Steven aka Mayaniac. I'm 21 years old,

damn from your skill level i thought you were in your late 20's

# 21 16-12-2010 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
My name is George, They used to call me Legend, but now I'm just "G-man" I love art in all forms, 2d 3d sculpting, ect. and My focus until recently has always been strictly hard surface modeling, I'm not working on broadening my horizons..Not easy to do in Kentucky LoL
Also..
I found it odd Reading Spanish from Jay!...

G-man

# 22 17-12-2010 , 03:53 PM
Subscriber
Hey!

My name is Joe, I'm 29. I started using maya pretty late, 1,5 years before. These days I'm trying to understand how post production programs re working like maya,ps,ae,mudbox,nuke etc...

joey

# 23 18-12-2010 , 01:30 PM
StealthSCG
Hey people
My name is Jack, I'm 17, Live in New Zealand and a month away from college. Since this college is dedicated to the entertainment industry, movie games etc (not what some of you were thinking user added image, we are using Maya for modeling. I have been searching around for a decent basics tutorial so I can get the jump and maybe converting from 3ds Max if I can figure out this. I know all the basics and a bit more intermediate stuff in this as I have already semi completed a high poly car using poly modeling, smoothing, everything like that. Im looking forward to posting my stuff as I have recently been checking this site out all the time and have heard you guys are great.
Cheers user added image

# 24 18-12-2010 , 01:35 PM
Acid44
Welcome n00b.

By the way ^this one comes as a spawn of me, so prepare yourselves ;D

# 25 18-12-2010 , 01:37 PM
StealthSCG
gee, thanks S. That REALLY going to brighten my chances of being known for GOOD.

# 26 18-12-2010 , 01:40 PM
Acid44
Hellz yeh.

# 27 26-12-2010 , 06:01 PM

TDW has arrived

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and Maya aswell. If been modeling for about 2 years now with Blender and now I'm going to learn Maya. I'm from Germany and I know my english sucks a lot, but sadly there isn't any good Maya forum in my country.

I've modeled mainly for PC games in the past, creatures and stuff, but in future I want to concentrate on getting a bit better and make some cool standalone artworks, like those on the forum header.

Greets, TDW!!! user added image

# 28 26-12-2010 , 07:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi all,

My name is Jacques and I live near Bristol, UK. Originally from South Africa I moved to the UK 8 years ago and do architectural design /work for a day job.

I got into Maya when I had my SGI Octane2 workstation about three years ago...started out on Maya 6.5! I've since then dropped off my 3D stuff a bit as I've devoted most of my free time to restoring a '82 Smallframe Vespa 100.

Hope to get back into my 3D soon!

# 29 27-12-2010 , 12:11 AM
Lo folks

My name is Sean and I live in Glasgow, in the UK. Currently in my 2nd year of my animation course and will be moving into modelling and 3d animation in February with Maya, so I thought I'd get a head start and begin now.

Hope I get to know at least a few of you as I develop my characters (currently attempting to recreate the creatures from Dungeon keeper) and also looking forward to learning from the rest of your work aswell.

# 30 04-01-2011 , 09:21 AM

Welcome to SimplyMaya if you've never posted before you might consider saying hello in here.

You don't need to be a Maya expert to use our forums we're a friendly bunch. I created SimplyMaya in part because it was intimidating to try and join the conversation on a lot of forums. Here we try and be a little different. We have a lot of people here from large studios and a lot of very seasoned Maya users but we try and leave the condescending attitude at the door user added image and while i believe there defiantly is such a thing as a stupid question, you wont get laughed out the door for asking it here.

So if your one of the many people that reads the forums but never posts. Say hello user added image

David

Thank you welcoming me on board, David.

Aruna,
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. "