Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 04-01-2011 , 09:34 AM

Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone,user added image

I’m Aruna and living in India. I’ve done Adobe Photoshop and pursuing 3D Maya. I’m passionate about it. I took a decision to have a change in my career. From X to Y, bit scared, too.

I hope you guys will help me out.

Well apart from this, finger crossed, waiting for my first project. user added image

Aruna,
"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree."

# 32 09-01-2011 , 04:26 PM
Subscriber
Hey, I am Kai from Germany. I`m currently Studying and was always interested in 3D & Film(Final Cut etc.), so i choose to learn Maya (which is a little bit hard because everyone in my Class uses 3ds Max). The Tutorials here are a very good start and i hope for the rest i got you guys user added image.

Kai

# 33 09-01-2011 , 07:24 PM
Hello all,

Rick Mulawa is my name. I was a senior systems engineer providing pre-sales technical support for several major computer manufacturers for over 15 years. I handled high performance computing, and graphics for government labs, Universities, and some major west coast vfx studios.

My initial modeling experience was as a structural engineering consultant performing finite element analysis for the auto industry in Michigan. While working for SGI and Sun Microsystems I had the opportunity to watch the CG artists at ILM and Pixar working on the Jurassic Park, Terminator, and Toy Story movies and became interested in modeling using Maya as a hobby. I have been working with Maya now since version 1.0 and tend to focus on hard surface modeling as I can draw upon my past experience as a structural engineer.

I hold degrees in Aeronautical Engineering (MS), Electrical and Computer Engineering (BS), Computer Science (BS), and just recently received a Doctoral degree in Medical Physics (PhD).

I have been a member of Simply Maya since 2004 and was recently honored to asked to moderate the modeling channel in the forums.

I am still trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 09-01-2011 at 10:49 PM.
# 34 09-01-2011 , 10:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Welcome aboard aruna and KRump...and ct of course. You will find this the best site on the web for tut's and help. Everyone here is helpful and friendly to the max....enjoy.

cheers bullet

wow Rick...ummm wow..thats some study there mate!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 35 20-01-2011 , 08:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Hello everyone, I'm Jerry, long time members with not a lot to say user added image
Have been a custom cabinetmaker and custom furniture builder for 30+ years
samples of work can be seen here:
https://66.92.45.210/

have also had an interest in Maya for quite a while but just couldn't grok the tools.
But have also had illnesses set me back a couple times forgetting more than I learned.
Latest setback was major back surgery where they replaced several discs and screwed me back together.
Will be retired this year and really wanting to get a handle on Maya to help fill some of the free time I'm gonna have.
Figure I'll start by modeling some of the cabinets/furniture I've made since all dimensions/details are in my head.
Will be asking tons of questions about UV's and texturing, including watching the tuts from here.

Also like to tinker with computers in spare time, wanting to build the ultimate beast,
maybe this year user added image

anyway, that's me and I'll be lurking around user added image

# 36 03-02-2011 , 06:42 PM
Hi everyone! Name's Kevin! I'm currently studying 3D Modeling, Animation art and Design at CDI College in Montreal. It's a new program in the campus and I'm among the first batch, after half a year here, I'm enjoying it a lot. Looking forward to learn more from other experienced modelers in the forum as well. I've only handled Maya for a a couple of months so my modeling isn't that great so I hope you guys can guide me as well.

I'm currently making Wing Gundam Zero as a personal project and will be posting it in the WIP. Looking to get feedback.

So yeah, cheers! user added image

# 37 03-02-2011 , 09:34 PM
Lifetime Member
welcome guys...hope the experience here is fun and educational!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 38 15-03-2011 , 11:49 AM

Hi,...

My name is Hilde. I fell into 3D only a few months ago... First Poser, than Cinema4D and finally Maya.
worked as a graphic 2D designer for several years, but it's only now that I 'm really amusing myself, in this virtual world I'm setting up...
I landed on this forum because of an answer to my batch-problem. Thanks a lot, cause I'm still learning learning learning....

# 39 15-03-2011 , 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Welcome Hilde user added image. That's funny that you got poked towards the Maya vortex by way of Poser because the same happened to me!

- Genny
# 40 15-03-2011 , 07:06 PM
Thats amusing as i too Went from Poser to (Bryce to Lightwave to) Maya.

I remember the fun days of trying to make animations in poser... wait no i dont.

# 41 19-03-2011 , 07:35 PM
Hi Friends.. am sudheer from India..... i`ve completed my 3D in maya, am very much keen about effects and very much interested in experimenting new effects and learning more...... hope this fetches me the best............

# 42 27-03-2011 , 08:38 PM
Hi I am French 31 years old made a formation last year on 3DSmax, then would make animation, but if I want do muscles I need find plugin, and animation with CAT, is not really what I like,

I tried several years before : Maya, and I don't know why but I always found its mr version more "natural" than the 3DSmax version, don't ask me why !

I need/want do animation with muscles and Maya seems very good with that, it's a little annoying to have to start since the begin with another program but know 3DSmax and Maya it's a + in a 3D univers isn't it !
For the moment I just finished the 1st Chapiter of Mastering Maya !
Tomorrow I start the 2nd with "Camera" !

I prefer do everything rather try to start with shader and lighting, even if I would learn them in first !
I prefer do that smartly

Cordially, forgive my english when it's bad !user added image

Why I am here, well I searched for a Maya forum with a lot of people and it's this one I found, I found others but all with all others 3D programs, and a French one who is rather good but there are not a lot of people ! So here I came ! user added image

Last edited by Vindicator; 27-03-2011 at 08:45 PM.
# 43 27-03-2011 , 08:41 PM
SM Tea Boy
Welcome to SimplyMaya user added image

Good luck
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 44 27-03-2011 , 10:36 PM
Thanks you !

user added image

# 45 28-03-2011 , 01:16 AM
Hi, my name is Dan FitzGerald. I have a question, Is Full Sail University a good place to get my Maya training?, any suggestions.. Thanks, Dan