Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 76 16-10-2011 , 10:18 AM
Near Fort Worth, Waxachie or something user added image

Wondering what its like there.

Lee Perkins
Forsaken Studios
Art Director

www.embersofcaerus.com - www.forsakenstudios.com
# 77 13-11-2011 , 02:29 PM
Noober than noob
Hello and also thank you all for helping with my newbie questions. The community here is much more friendly than other forums I've been posting in.

My name is Mihaela. I don't know what I can be considered but probably a newbie as I've been better at 3ds max (have been working with animation, some effects and rigging in it) but haven't reached that level yet in Maya, although I can model quite fast but not as good as probably anyone here.

I do modeling as a hobby (i find it hard to find work where I live, in Romania) and I'm training so that I can make my dream come true and start a 3D animation series eventually on Youtube. It's probably all the more laughable to some, since I'm a girl and people probably won't take me seriously.
But oh well, that won't stop me from trying.

# 78 13-11-2011 , 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

.....It's probably all the more laughable to some, since I'm a girl and people probably won't take me seriously.
But oh well, that won't stop me from trying.

You're going to run into 'haters' now and then, hopefully someday I get to see your show. user added image

- Genny
# 79 13-11-2011 , 04:15 PM
Noober than noob

You're going to run into 'haters' now and then, hopefully someday I get to see your show. user added image

Well, this forum surely doesn't have as many trolls (if any?) as other places and I haven't met anyone here who I gave a reason to be mad at me yet (I don't try to offend people, but my stupidity sometimes annoys them so if I get on their nerves, of course some people might get mad and I am sorry if I do that).
I'm working on one of the main characters from the show, but I'll have to learn how to be more speedy in designing character clothes and making better human models (I find it easier to model animals and machines than to model humans).
Another fear I have is about the moment when I'll have to put the characters in scenes that involve stuff such as grassy plains / cities (which I intend to build from scratch, pretty much everything from scratch). If rendering just 1 character takes me up to 50 seconds due to hair, I'll faint when I'll see how much time it will take to export animation.
I'm on a Windows PC with 4 GB ram, 3 Ghz dual core CPU and 1 Gb graphics card (which I've heard that it's almost useless in animation/rendering).

# 80 13-11-2011 , 10:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Just because your a girl makes no difference to me...and I abhor people who base skill and class on gender...a pet hate of mine. You will be fine SilverFeather...hard work and perceverence will show through...no matter your age or gender mate. Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your work...as all the people who join here...its a fun place with plenty of help and healthy critique and guidance...enjoy

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 81 13-11-2011 , 11:12 PM
Noober than noob

Just because your a girl makes no difference to me...and I abhor people who base skill and class on gender...a pet hate of mine. You will be fine SilverFeather...hard work and perceverence will show through...no matter your age or gender mate. Good luck and look forward to seeing some of your work...as all the people who join here...its a fun place with plenty of help and healthy critique and guidance...enjoy

cheers bullet

Heya bullet X) Well, as you can see, I'm quite talkative so I don't know where to discuss around here about questions of mine and I don't think making a new thread for everything would be wise. Can anyone tell me where to chat about modeling / effects and things like that, please?

I'm 21 years old, but started checking out Maya PLE when I was 15. Now I have the full version and way better than that one.
Where can I post what I've worked on though? In the WIP thread? (since it's not finished yet, I still need to add a few things and probably adjust some things too).
I'd also post some 3ds max work but not sure if it counts here nor if it's any good, as I feel like Maya can do waaay better than that.

# 82 13-11-2011 , 11:16 PM
EduSciVis-er
Post different threads for different questions... or just start a thread called "SilverFeather's frequent questions" if you don't feel like it. But if you start a thread called "Problems with UV mapping" and then have a bunch of modelling questions, it just gets a bit confusing. The WIP forum is for work in progress, so post it if you're working on it. If it's final, then post it in the finished work. I'm sure it's fine to post max stuff, just add a note that it's made in max.

# 83 13-11-2011 , 11:19 PM
Subscriber

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 84 13-11-2011 , 11:26 PM
Noober than noob

Post different threads for different questions... or just start a thread called "SilverFeather's frequent questions" if you don't feel like it. But if you start a thread called "Problems with UV mapping" and then have a bunch of modelling questions, it just gets a bit confusing. The WIP forum is for work in progress, so post it if you're working on it. If it's final, then post it in the finished work. I'm sure it's fine to post max stuff, just add a note that it's made in max.

I think I'll post all the questions in the WIP since they will most likely be related to the work anyway. Thank you.

4 years ago I was 21... I wish I was still 21... so young...

you can go to the modeling part of the forum here https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

WIPs can be posted in the WIP part of the forum https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34

I'm sure you can figure out where other threads should go by looking at the main forum page.

While I may act childish, I feel old already.
Thank you for the info. X)

# 85 14-11-2011 , 12:13 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

4 years ago I was 21... I wish I was still 21... so young...

25's not old, you just feel old because you're a 'senior' developer now. user added image

# 86 14-11-2011 , 03:52 PM
Lifetime Member
I joined Simply Maya years ago under a different name but I was always to intimidated to post anything in the forums until very recently. Since actually joining the community here at SM my techniques have improved tremendously. I wish I would of spoke up back in 2004 I would probably be leaps and bounds further than I am now. So all you new members don't make my mistakes get involved get better user added image

- Jake
# 87 14-11-2011 , 04:01 PM
See here is my old account this will probably be my first post how very tragic. Dave you can probably just get rid of this profile I never use it anymore.

-Jake

# 88 13-12-2011 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
Hi, my name is Marti. I'm 21 and I'm from the Netherlands. I've been messing around with 3D for about 4 years now as a hobby. Currently I'm still in in school.

# 89 13-12-2011 , 06:00 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey Martel Welcome to SM are you going to school for anything related to 3D?

- Jake
# 90 14-12-2011 , 09:04 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the welcome.

My school is somewhat related. The education I get is very broad and directed at the advertising industry. So we learn everything from marketing advise, programming to graphical design. A small part of graphical design has been 3d but we only got about 5 or 6 lessons and really didn't learn much. So I'm learning 3d on my own and maybe I will be using 3d in a future job but untill that time I just do 3D as a hobby.