Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-01-2005 , 10:55 PM

humanModeling

good evening everyone!

this will be my first human model. I allready posted in poly-nurbs section, but think it´s better for me to post here cause I will have many questions during this modeling process. and if nobody answers, I´ll try to give them myself in case I find out... - maybe it is of any help for others then.

feel free to give critiques. I would be happy if you point out all those bad mistakes I make.

Last edited by Falott; 24-01-2005 at 11:39 PM.
# 2 22-01-2005 , 11:10 PM
1. question

I modeled this hand in SubD Polygon Proxy Mode. also worked out the fingernails by using -> full crease edge/vertex on the outline of the nail bed. in the end I converted all into polygon for cleaning up the mesh and deleted history. after putting the hand back to subD - the fingernails have all disappeared - did not save - never mind.

so - full creasing seems to be a historical process, it does not survive deleting history. how can I keep those changes made on subD without to forego deleting history in polygonal mode?

Attached Images
# 3 23-01-2005 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Falott
1. question

so - full creasing seems to be a historical process, it does not survive deleting history. how can I keep those changes made on subD without to forego deleting history in polygonal mode?

no its not a historical process. u can delete history on your subD mesh all creasing/partial crease will remain.
unless you convert your subD to polygon, then you lose the crease or anyother subD command you made.

# 4 24-01-2005 , 01:27 AM
mkay, I see. so I will keep those subD commands for finishing this model off. thx! meanwile I did some tweaking on the palm of the hand. the folds between the fingersegments look kind of unnatural until now, but it´s late..

Attached Images
# 5 24-01-2005 , 11:38 PM
here is some update on the backside.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 26-01-2005 , 01:19 AM
woowwwwwwwww. very nice! sure its your first?

# 7 26-01-2005 , 01:46 PM
Yes, it is. I did the StarWars-Tut from kurt before and tried to model a car, but it did not work out like I wanted it to.. this is my first organic model. its much more fun than "dead" material.

# 8 28-01-2005 , 06:47 AM
Subscriber
then,u sure know how women look like user added image i even forget.. sometimes need to look in mirror lol

Alpha Gamma Sygma.
# 9 28-01-2005 , 12:56 PM
Yes, I´m kind of enthusiastic with females user added image

# 10 28-01-2005 , 10:45 PM
I´m working on the head now - try to patchmodel it. first thing I recognized is the difficulty of keeping the original shape of the face when sculpting the surface for some time.. it kind of just melts away. the nostril in particular crazes me a lot.

First I thougt patchModeling would be a more intuitive way for modeling an object with a lot of details than building up the head out of a polygonBox. but now I´m missing some red thread. like what procedure or tools work best except cutting/attaching surfaces and sculpting them?

btw, is it the main aim to attach all surfaces to have 1 piece in the end? because I don't really get it how to devide/attach for accomplishing that.

however - this is the head so far. looks pretty very no good, but what shells? dont mind my poop english.

Attached Images
# 11 29-01-2005 , 12:41 PM
i like particulary the hand, body also. to evaluet the haed need more work! great start.

# 12 30-01-2005 , 04:10 PM
when rebuilding surfaces there´s the option '0 to # spans' and '0 to 1'. this parameterization, what is the difference between '0 to #' and '0 to 1', because I don´t see any.

# 13 30-01-2005 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
visually I don't think you'll see a difference. It's more of mapping issue for surface points. The only place I could see it reflected was in the attributes for loftedsurfaceshape# under NURBS Surface history. It will either show a min/max of 0 and 1 or 0 and # of spans. Your should be safe using either unless you plan to take the surface into a modeling program that prefers on over the other.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 14 31-01-2005 , 09:10 AM
@meritan2 thx and yes, the hand is my favorite too! worked on it for about 8 hours.

# 15 02-03-2005 , 12:55 PM
about rebuilding surfaces - I droped that concept. right now I'm doing all with polygons-subDs only. because nurbsModeling is too heavy for me until now.

I work on her head for now. it's the trickiest part and I don´t really know if I will ever get finished with it.

other than that I did some update on her feet.

Attached Thumbnails