Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 12-12-2007 , 05:51 AM

Mirror Geometry & Performance

Hi,

when i create a model using the "mirror geometry" will this result in greater performance when the model is redendered by the graphics card?
I.e. : Will the graphics card "see" that the modell cosists of a mirrored half and maybe save some memory or something?

# 2 12-12-2007 , 06:38 AM
as far as in the user interface, i believe that since there's technically only one node the interface might be faster, but actually rendering won't make a difference, because the graphics card doesn't render images unless you've chosen hardware render.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 13-12-2007 , 07:22 AM
To the best of my knowledge, using mirror geometry will have little/no impact on the rendering, because the rendering is caculating based on the teselated geometry in the scene. When you mirror the geometry, you are creating a surface thats a copy of the original. it's no different then if you created the copy from skratch.

It is however, easier to model (IMHO) half a model then mirror it (I'm a fan of the CSP tool that connect poly shape tool (i think it's version three thats most stable), as it makes a smoothed proxy already mirrored so you can see the outcome of your tweaks on the low geometry mesh. you should be able to google it)