Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-02-2009 , 04:42 AM
Subscriber

Polygons versus Subdiv surface

I hope someone can help me but is it possible to use subdiv surfaces with 3d engines or does have to be polygons?

Thanks
Mike

# 2 05-02-2009 , 12:51 PM
Jr.Who
Um… I'm not sure, but I'd just stick with polys. Sub D's seem dead now, since the smooth preview mesh in Maya 2008 (or whatever it's called lol).

# 3 05-02-2009 , 09:07 PM
you can use subd with render engines, digital tutors does it all the time esp with their modeling tutorials, but personally i use polygons because its faster to render as compared with subds.

# 4 06-02-2009 , 08:25 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
since the smooth preview mesh in Maya 2008 (or whatever it's called lol).

Whats the smooth mesh preview got to do with sub-D's??? Its a differrent modeling set with its own ups and downs, thats like saing that the smooth mesh preview had killed nurbs....

Most people have gone to polys as they are more versatile and with the advent of Zbrush easier to get the high frequency detials in (which is where you would have had to use sub-Ds to get to a level then go form there in PS)

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 06-02-2009 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
Fella's don't start a fight the reason I ask is that I am modeling F1 cars for gp4 and rfactor, I just want to know if their 3d engines could handle subdiv surfaces.
Cause if i do a smooth preview or apply smooth on it they turn out more than 400 k in polys which is way to high.