Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 151 24-03-2009 , 08:38 PM
# 152 24-03-2009 , 10:41 PM
The Nurb Herd
Not a bad first model. Kutgw

# 153 24-03-2009 , 10:45 PM
Cheers h.h, I'll get better with a bit of practice, just got to keep at it! what does "Kutgw" mean by the way.....

# 154 25-03-2009 , 12:47 AM
EduSciVis-er
Keep up the good work user added image
I had to google it just now...
Very nice model, by the way. I'll have to start practicing now.

# 155 25-03-2009 , 04:53 AM
OK I don't want to sound like a douchebag but I will...

Ok...There is absolutely NO way you could have modeled that car when your new to 3D modeling. NO way. I am sure I am not the only one who thinks this. I can't be. Basically you're brand new to the controls and rendering and nurbs and everything, and yet, you produce this car. I've been in 3D animation for two semesters (mind you I'm only in highschool) and I've been following a Nissan 350z tutorial and it's tough. Someone I know won a national competition in 3D animation and now works for Storm Hawks ( canadian 3D cartoon). His stuff started getting like this after highschool. You don't just start using Maya and *BAM* in a couple of days create a car, even if you're following a tutorial.
(douchebagness over)

However, if that is your car, then disregard what I have said, for I bow down to your fast learning and amazing skill. You will be famous one day and I (well I don't need to) wish you luck in a future career in this field. Truly outstanding!

# 156 25-03-2009 , 05:33 AM
Subscriber
tbh, i don't see why not and i don't see why so

(and what is a douchebag?? you see it every so often used by nerds but i've never known... actually, keep me ignorant of it. i want to keep claiming that i don't know user added image).

i've never modelled a car, or followed a tutorial about modelling a car so i can't say whether its possible to model a car in 7 days.

the time between posts was quite small, and i got the impression that a car is really tough to model.
i'm not sure what would make following a tutorial tough either. Sure somethings don't always work the same way as the tutors, but its not usually a big thing
(...then again i've only followed one video tutorial right to the end and that's what you see in my avatar :p)

i assume dango has had experience in another 3d application, and is new to maya. but the experience he had was either quite little, or the 3d app was quite limited.

i dunno... i don't like it when people accuse you of not doing something when you did.... at some point we've probably all been accussed of such claims..

sorry... i'm only defending cuz i've picked up this sort of stuff really fast as well...(i think... i dont have anyone to measure against)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 157 25-03-2009 , 07:10 AM
Well, I didn't quite expect this reaction! I have to say I did model the car last week,I started on tuesday, stayed up all night and got to having the car half modeled by the following evening, mirrored the geometry over and converted to polys on thursday and followed a car paint tutorial on the friday, changing the colours for my own and altering the sizes of some of the parts. So I actually only did it in 4 days! I can see why some people think I may have modeled it before but to be honest I don't find it hard to pick things up, and Maya isn't that hard to learn if your brain likes to learn and you want to! The only other 3d apps I've tried is google sketchup for about 4 months and about 2 months of playing on zbrush but what can I say, I learn fast and put my time into what I love. I may have only had Maya for a few months but I've spent every waking hour I've had spare reading books on it and watching tutorials and this is the result of it! I guess it may make people even more skeptical if I let them know I didn't even finish school, have no qualifications, and the only jobs I've ever done have been as a Labourer... lol (I know that doesn't come into it,just thought it'd make things worse...)

Also the car is a little flawed,the trim around it is weird and blocky, and the windscreen isn't actually joined properly, but as it's only in the background I did some clever positioning...

Last edited by Dango77; 25-03-2009 at 07:41 AM.
# 158 25-03-2009 , 07:29 AM
Stwert and Chirone: Thanks for the good words, I've loved doing this challenge, it's been challenging! I think I may need to take a weeks holiday when it's finished, I've been getting about 3 hours sleep a night and even when I'm not on Maya my brains doing double time thinking of ideas! Well, maybe just a day or two away from it then, it's drawing me back in as we speak.....

Also, thanks to everyone who's given me advice throughout this challenge, it's all helped so much,who know's how it would have looked without it, the scale may have been a little out...heh!

Last edited by Dango77; 25-03-2009 at 07:35 AM.
# 159 25-03-2009 , 12:13 PM

# 160 25-03-2009 , 03:17 PM
In all honestly I prefer it without the other buildings... But its your call.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 161 25-03-2009 , 04:26 PM
Thanks for the input gster123, I've been feeling a little inclined that way myself, I'm going to do one more render with them repositioned and with a bit more work on the shaders,see how it looks, get a bit more feedback and make a decision then.

If anyone thinks it looks better without the buildings, please let me know why you think that, all input is welcome!

Last edited by Dango77; 25-03-2009 at 04:29 PM.
# 162 25-03-2009 , 04:29 PM
Remember dude to keep it to what the challenge is for (not read the requirements for ages so not too sure whats required) just in case.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 163 25-03-2009 , 04:32 PM
Will do gster, I think it was just something related to a city, building, bus stop etc, I only added the buildings in the background because I was getting worried it wasn't living up to the Cityscapeness of the challenge. Have to think it through some more. Cheers again!

# 164 25-03-2009 , 04:45 PM
hammer horror: Just found out what Kutgw means, thanks, will do, you too, just checked out your mumm-ra, liking it, have fun doing all of those bandages!

# 165 26-03-2009 , 07:18 AM
Subscriber
This is a dream house. I like it a lot. I wish I could have done something like that too. Nice work