Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-01-2016 , 04:43 PM

Pressure Dial gauge rigging and animation

Hey all! i am new to this forum and had started to learn Maya recently.At present, i am trying to rig and animate a pressure dial gauge.Modeling is done and now i face a problem while animating the needle of the dial gauge.
My scene file contains a pressure gauge with a needle and a turning knob (regulator).the needle rotation inside the pressure gauge is controlled by the knob.so i had linked both by using expression as;
needle.rotateZ=knob.rotateZ*0.45;
Now, i want to make the rotation of the needle a bit more natural (adding a delay effect to needle rotation with respect to knob and slow down its speed of rotation of needle . i had tried the "get attr" expression but it didnt work out...kindly help me .....

# 2 08-01-2016 , 06:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Is there a reason you can't hand animate it? It seems like if you're wanting a natural feel (even adding some secondary motion to the needle), then keyframe animation will be much more successful than any expression.

# 3 11-01-2016 , 11:49 AM
Actually i had 6 such pressure gauges in a system and each is having different behavior(some are fast and some are slow),so in order to ease the animation process i had decided to link needles to their knobs respectively and then use a control panel to control the knob motion....and for that i wonder if there is any way or expression to slow down the needle rotation with respect to knob or not?

# 4 12-01-2016 , 12:52 AM
Super Moderator

- Genny